Art History
Course
ARTH 2150
Professor
Andrew Sherwood
Semester
Fall

Description
ARTH 2150 Lecture 5 9/16/2013 7:27:00 AM Phaistos Katazako Kommos Haghia Triada – summer palace close to Phaistos Vasiliki Evans Labyrinthos EM I – III (3-2,000) Pre-Palace Period MM I –II (2-1,700) Old Palace Period [ MM III (17-15-50) New Palace Period [ LM I (1550 – 1450) [ LM II (1450 – 1400) LM III (1400-1100) Post Palace Period _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ - Zeus and Europa – had Minos who married Pasiphae (who had sex with the Bull) - Minos and Pasiphae birth Ariadne, Phaedra, Androgeos, Deucalion (semi-historical) AND Pasiphae and the Bull had Minotaur - King Aegeus is married to Aethra who has an affair with Poseidon - the result is a double fathered demi-god named Theseus - Theseus has an affair with Amazonian Hippolyta (fathers Hippolytus) and marries Phaedra (Ariadne’s sister) - Ariadne falls in love with him and helps him escape the Minotaur, Theseus and Ariadne make a run for it and he strands her on Naxos (but she is rescued by Dionysus) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ - we need to know the myths because there’s lots of bull mythology (relates to the art) - the women in Cretan myth have bad luck, the men for the most part are genius’s _ _ _ _ _ __ __ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ - on the Greek mainland, there is a mini dark age and nothing major happens until 1680 (so we look to Crete) - around 2200 Troy, the Cyclades and Lerna are destroyed and the Cyclades economy collapses b/c their trade partners are in a Dark Age - the only Bronze Age civilization that continues to grow is Crete, independent of the trade flow to survive by themselves - they traded up into Greece and the Cyclades but they also are the closest trade with Egypt and the Middle East (which continues) - in the central northern part are Knossos and Mallia and on the southern side Phaistos - this civilization has internal wealth and doesn’t collapse - we find in the EM to the LM period is the flourishing of artwork - gold and ivory (which don’t have either naturally on Crete) show that they are trading somehow to get them - “The Jumper” ivory sculpture - the house at the eastern part of the Island, Vasiliki was an extensively large house for the era - the
More Less

Related notes for ARTH 2150

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit