Art History (147)
ARTH 3220 (8)

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
Art History
ARTH 3220
Alla Myzelev

Lecture 4 Sept. 18th / 2012 Discussing article “Spectacular Nation Nkrumahist Art and Resistance Iconography in the Ghanaian Independence Era” by Janet Hess. - art historical perspectives on African modernism - when dies, his body, his person, becomes part of the narrative as well - important readings for understanding a perspective out side of the Western world Ashante Culture •The Ashante (or Asante) Empire (or Confederacy), also Asanteman (1701-1896) •Legend of Golden Stool - Ghana trying to represent themselves, small country in Eastern Africa. - attempting individual identity •Kwame Nkrumah, in power from 1957-1966 - Time magazine cover - altered, lighter skin (less black appeal) etc Icons of Divinity Elizabeth I - Image by Hans Holbein - the virgin queen - symbolism; pearl hanging by genital area = chastity, she is above the carnal desire - the Icon - to be fortified and admired Anne Boleyn - Image - wife of Henry VIII Image: “Mother Jak”, The Lady Mary, Prince Edward, Henry VIII, Jane Seymour, The Lady Elizabeth, and Wil Somers, 1545 - iconography Image: Coronation of Elizabeth I, 1558 (painted in 1600) what is the difference from other image by Holbein. - feminine, facing forward, more womanly - painted after the fact thus the artist knew about her and what happened, her fame and belovedness, her strengt
More Less

Related notes for ARTH 3220

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.