Evolution v. Intelligent Design
What We Know
- Debate on teaching evolution in public schools
- Molecular and genetics to support evolution, hasn't damped anti-evol. Development
- Birth and death and religion
- Long lasting debate
- US and Canada
- Bill Maher - storks delivering babies
- challenged by religious groups
- Darwin's theory is currently being taught
- Religious groups protesting the teaching of Darwin's theories
- Intelligent design will be taught by science teachers
What We Don't Know
- Can private/private religious schools teach whatever they want?
- DO catholic and public boards have to teach the same thing?
- Does it apply to universities too?
- What churches?
- How may kids identify as religious in school?
- Genetic basis of evolution?
- What religious groups support evolution?
- What is Intelligent design?
- Religious based design?
- Creationism vs. intelligent design?
- How prominent in Canada?
- Any other subjects banned in schools? - Who decides curriculum?
- Performance difference between schools?
- Support for I.D.?
- Legal issues for teachers?
- Who is Charles Darwin?
- Is I.D. a science? Does it qualify as a science?
- Do religious schools teach evolution?
- Does learning about religion go against the charter of rights and freedoms
- Does I.D. contradict evolution?
- Appropriate for religion and public to blend?
- How are school boards funded?
- Different religions in religious schools?
- Why do we need to learn about evolution?
- Taught in other countries? (evolution)
- Why can't they teach I.D. in religion classes?
- Who is teaching I.D.?
- Consequences for scientific research after studying I.D.?]
- Herbert Spencer
- What is evolution? - Descent with modification, change in inherited