Bacteria and Quorum Sensing
• Oldest living organismson the Earth
• Grow and divideconstantly
• Ten timesmore bacterial cellsthen human cells on a human being
• Bacteria are involvedin keeping us alive,but there are some notorious bacteria that are really
• Certaintype of bacteria gaveoff lightwhen there was dense gathering of them, but didn't
when they were in a dilute solution.
• Bacteria can sense more bacteria by having moleculesfloating around them which interact
with other bacterial moleculesto sense how many are surrounding them.
• BACTERIA TALK TO EACH OTHER: Bacteria have signal producing protein and signal receptor
protein which acts as a lock and key with the sensing molecule.When there are enough
molecules, lightis turned on in all bacteria.
• ACT AS MULTICELLULAR ENTITIES: Pathogens communicate in a similarway to stay dormant
and wait until they detect enough other bacteria a