BIOL 1090 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Umber, Gametogenesis, Meiosis

82 views3 pages
18 Jan 2018
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

The process by which the umber of chromosomes in the reproductive cell is reduced from the diploid number (2n) to half this number (n) Occurs in vegetative (somatic) cells. (all cells beside germ cells) End up with 2 diploid, generally identical cells (2n, 2c: meiosis. End up with 4 haploid, genetically distinct cells (n,c) Prophase i: leptonema, zygonema, pachynema, diplonema, diakensis. Prophase i: leptonema: chromosomes, each consisting of two sister chromatids, begin to condense, zygonema: homologous chromosomes begin to pair. This is called synapsis and is often facilitated by formation of a synaptonemal complex: pachynema: homologous chromosomes are fully paired. Crossing over involves breakage of chromatids and the exchange of the broken pieces between homologous chromosomes. Crossover junctions are called chiasmata: diakinesis: paired chromosomes condense further and become attached to spindle. Metaphase i: paired chromosomes alight on the equatorial plane in the cell. Anaphase i: homologous chromosomes disjoin and move to opposite poles of the cell.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers