BOT 2000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Taproot, Endosperm, Stamen

97 views3 pages
27 Jan 2018
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Photoautotrophic: organisms which derive their energy through photosynthesis. Larger outer surface area to e ciently capture light energy & facilitate gas exchange: most plants have evolved an extremely high surface to volume ratio. Plants protect itself in other ways i. e. thorns, toxic chemicals, other defence structure. Plants develop methods to spread pollen & seed i. e. owers, fruit. Must pack required nutrients into seeds to allow for initial growth & development. Plant: all organisms within the plant kingdom, classi ed based on morphological characterization and genetic relationships. Evolved to produce an array of compounds to deter herbivores, prevent disease, and protect themselves from abiotic stresses since they are sessile: seeds and fruit as food; stems & other materials for construction, compounds useful in medicine. Also produce compounds with attractive scents & colours to attract pollinators. Proposed use of a binomial naming system to name species genus epithet. Note that family names (i. e. fabaceae) is not italicized, rst letter is capitalized.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers