Chemistry
Course
CHEM 1050
Professor
Richard Delaat
Semester
Winter

Description
THERMO - PART 4 SPONTANEITY and GIBBS FREE ENERGY Spontaneous processes tend to minimize energy and maximize disorder. NOTES:  Some processes are " Enthalpy Driven" with S = _______ (e.g. a ball rolling downhill)  Some processes are "Entropy Driven" with H = _______ (e.g. two inert gases mixing). Therefore, for a chemical reaction:  If H Rxnis NEGATIVE and S Rxnis POSITIVE, then the rxn will be _______________ (in the forward direction) as both enthalpy and entropy _________________ the reaction.  If H Rxnis POSITIVE and S Rxnis NEGATIVE, then the rxn will be _________________ as both Enthalpy and Entropy _______________ the reaction (reverse reaction will be spontaneous). What about the cases where (a) H and S are BOTH positive, OR rxn rxn (b) H and S are BOTH negative rxn rxn How do we decide if a reaction is “spontaneous” or not? This balance between energy and entropy can be handled by a new term, the __________________, and it gets us away from having to worry about S Surroundings and hence S Universe We know that: S UniverseS Surroundings SSystem (1) We also know that at constant T and P: S SurroundingsqSurroundings = (2) (this is a key relationship!) Therefore, substituting (2) into equation (1): S = _______________ + S Universe System Multiply both sides by –T: S UniverseH System– TS System ***** We define G = H - TS = –TS Universe, where G is called Gibbs Free Energy **** 42 NOTES: Significance of the Sign of G A reaction at constant temperature and pressure proceeds spontaneously when G rxn< 0, i.e. for a spontaneous process, rxnwill be NEGATIVE.  If G rxnis N EGATIVE, the rxn is _____________________________. (i.e., rxn proceeds in the forward direction from reactants to products).  If G rxnis ZERO, the reaction is _______________________________.  If G rxnis POSITIVE, the reaction is NOT __________________________________________________________. From here on we will use G which includes both energy anndentropy. For a reaction to proceed spontaneously, G must be negative. (Recall that the 2 Law of Thermodynamics says that for a spontaneous process, S > 0.) This means that the direction of spontaneous change it toward lower free energy (i.e., free energy minimization). The equation: G = H – TS can have 4 possibilities Enthalpy Change Entropy Change Spontaneous Reaction? Endothermic (+) Increase (+) If TS > H 1. (H > 0) (S > 0) (______________ driven) Exothermic (–) Increase (+) 2. (H < 0) (S > 0) _______, G < 0 Endothermic (+) Decrease (–) _________, G > 0 3. (H > 0) (S < 0) (But rxn is ______________________.) 4. Exothermic (–) Decrease (–) If TS < H (H < 0) (S < 0) (_____________ driven) 43 NOTES: Note: For 2 and 3, spontaneity depends on size of H, S and T. Some examples: H in kJ, S in J/K) 1. H 2(g)+ Br 2(l) 2HBr (g; H –73 & S +114 2. NH 3(g) + HCl (g)  NH Cl 4 (s; H –176 & S –285 3. NH 4l (s) NH 3(g)+ HCl (g; H +176 & S +285 4. 3O 2(g)  2O 3(g; H +285 & S –137 For each example, state when, if ever, the reaction will be spontaneous: Example 1: Example 2: Example 3: Example 4: For the examples above, we can plot graphs of G vs. temperature: 44 So, for some reactions you might need to check out the possible competing H and NOTES: S requirements (i.e., is the reaction enthalpy or entropy driven). Standard Molar Free Energies of Formation, G f Definition: G fs the G for the reaction in which 1 MOLE of a substance in its STANDARD STATE is FORMED from its ELEMENTS in their STANDARD STATES.  G m,fof any pure element (in its standard state) = _______ (just like ______________) Refer to Appendix C for G valuesf G m,fis a measure of stability with respect to decomposition of a compound into its elements under standard conditions.  If Gm,fis negative at a particular temperature, the elements that make up the compound form the compound spontaneously (i.e., the compound is __________ stable than the elements).  If Gm,fis positive at a particular temperature, the compound decomposes spontaneously into its elements (i.e., the compound is _____________ stable than the elements). Recall Standard States:  pure liquid; pure solid (most stable form at 1 atm and specified T)  gases (1 atm)  solutes (1M concentration) Question: The standard free energy of formation (G ) for CS (gis +66.85 kJ/mol. f 2 What does this say about the molecule CS 2g? G is a STATE FUNCTION (independent of path) We can get G rxnEITHER from: a) Tables of G m,fdata (at a specific temperature, e.g., 25C) i.e., Use:G Rxn = ________________________ NOTE: This equation can ONLY be used for 25C when using G values given for 25C. f OR b) H anf S datm (at any temperature). 45 i.e., For ANY temperature we useG Rxn = __________________ NOTES: This equation assumes that both H and S are independent of temperature (this is OK at our level). Example of calculating G Rxn from H Rxnand S Rxn values Calculate the standard free energy change for the formation of methane at 298 K given H fnd S mor reactants and products. Equation: C(s) + 2H2(g)  CH 4g) Find H Rxn: H Rxn=  H Rxn= Find S Rxn S Rxn= S Rxn= Find G Rxn: G Rxn= H Rxn- T SRxn G Rxn= G Rxn= G f - 50.7 kJ  Reaction goes at 298 K Note: At 1000K, G Rxn= –74.8 kJ – {1000 K × –80.8 J/K × 1 kJ/ 1000 J} 46 G Rxn = G f + 6 kJ NOTES: Reaction is entropically unfavoured at high T. Standard Molar Free Energies of Formation of Aqueous Ions G (aq) f Recall that for Hfof aqueous ions, it was not possible to separate the cation and anion contributions. We got around this by defining H (H ,aq) = _____. f Similarly, S (H , aq) = _____ and G (H , aq) = ____. m m,f Concentration and Free Energy G Rxncan be obtained from: a) G vflues (e.g., at 25C) and G Rxn= nG m,f(Products) - nG m,f(Reactants) b) H afd S vmlues (at any temperature) and G Rxn = H rxn– TS rxn We have a problem however. We RARELY have standard conditions (1 atm, 1M). These conditions are unusual and difficult to set up (except for changes of state at 1 atm or 1 M). Much more useful if we have an expression that we can use with any concentrations. The value of G (NOT G) is much more useful and is easily obtained. For any reactions, Reactants  Products, the sign of GRxntells us if we are going forward, backward or at equilibrium. Complete the following table on your own: G Reaction (,  or ) Rxn negative zero positive Hence G Rxnmust depend on concentrations of reactants and products. You already know this! Think about the REACTION QUOTIENT, Q (material from CHEM*1040) Remember, for a reaction with any concentrations or pressures values: aA + bB  cC + dD Q C QP= 47 NOTES: Units: molarity (solutions) atm (gases) Note: Pure solids and liquids  1 within these expressions. This expression contains ANY values, not just those at equilibrium. If Q = K, then we are at ________________________. If Q < K, the reaction wants to go ________, until Q = K (at equilibrium). i.e, This means that in the expression, the top portion is too small and the bottom portion is too big. To get Q to equal K, the reaction __________________ [C] and [D] and ___________________ [A] and [B] We would say the reaction is ____________________. If Q > K,the top of the expression has values that are too large and the bottom has values that are too small. We must drive the reaction ________________ to _____________ C & D, and __________ A & B. i.e. if Q > K the reaction goes L  R until Q = K. This rxn is _________________ as written, but _________________ in the reverse. How are G rxn and Q/K related? We can write:G rxn= RT ln(Q/K) = 2.303 RT log(Q/K) Q/K ln(Q/K) G rxn Direction Spontaneity? < 1 – – L R > 1 L R 1 L R Spontaneous reactions ALWAYS proceed so as to move TOWARDS a STATE OF EQUILIBRIUM i.e. Q  K i.e. Q/K  1 Thus G rxnvia the value of Q) depends on concentrations of Reactants and Products. We need to think carefully about what we mean brxnnd Gºrxn Using logarithm rules (division within a logarithm is the same as subtracting the logarithm of the top from the bottom): 48 NOTES: G rxn = RT ln(Q/K) = RT lnQ – RT lnK which gives us: G rxn= Grxnis the "standard conditions value" (i.e. value appropriate to unit pressures and concentrations). RT lnQ term is the "correction factor" to account for non–unit concentrations or pressures (i.e., non-standard conditions). N.B. G rxncalculated in this way reflects the ____________________ of a reaction under a particular set of conditions of concentrations or pressures – and as reactants are consumed, G rxnwill change and eventually go to 0 as equilibrium is achieved. G rxnis then a quantitative expression of ______________________. ******************************************************************* Example: Reaction: N 2(g)+ 3H 2(g)  2NH 3(g) At 298K,the partial pressures in a reaction mixture areN2 = 0.25 atm, PH2 = 0.55 atm and P NH3 = 0.95 atm. Detemine G .rxn Problem Solving Strategy: Step 1: Determine the value of G rxnusing tables of Gm,fdata and G Rxn = nG m,fProducts) - nG m,fReactants). Step 2: Determine Q based on the conditions given in the question. Step 3: Solve for G rxn Step 1: G Rxn= nG (frods) - nG (Rfacts) = G Rxn = -33.28 kJ Step 2: Q = [Prod]/[Reactants] = Q = 21.7 Step 3: G rxn= G rxn+ RT ln Q G = -25.7 kJ rxn 49 NOTES: G is negative. Therefore, the reaction is __________________ in the forward rxn direction. An increase in 3H (g) will continue until Q becomes equal to K (the equilibrium constant) and hence G will become zero (i.e., at equilibrium). rxn To see the relationship between Q and Greview the following set of rxn experiments where the partial pressures for the reactants and products are measured for the following reaction2 N (g) +23H (g)  23H (g) where G = -33.28 kJ + RT ln {P 2/ P × P 3} rxn NH3 N2 H2 Note: The equilibrium constant, K, for this reaction at 298K is 6.8×10 . Expt. PN2 PH2 PNH3 Q RT lnQ
More Less

Related notes for CHEM 1050

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit