Foundation of Rome Feb 29
Ab urbe condita (from the city foundation) April 21 57 b.c
• The origins of Rome relay in the foundation of the Greeks – particularly
beginning with the fall of troy at the end of the Trojan war
• Even though the Greeks tried to kill all the Trojans a small group of Trojan
survivors were able to sail away – anenes carrying his father ankezes, next to him
his son ascanious (nickname ulus jewlous). They leave then on a mission in mind
• Ankezes was visited by Venus and had sex with him their child was anenes.
Venus has then protected her son throughout the battle and prevented him from
getting harmed. – he was blessed then by the gods
• His mission was to go and find another civilization similar to the Trojans.
• He leaves the north west and wanders the Mediterranean
• Also took two sacred symbols
• He got to North Africa Carthage and welcomed by the queen. So they had an
affair and he was granted by the gift to predict the future
• The queen knew that anenes family were going to bring down the city so she tried
to keep him there he followed the heroic code and sailed away to go find another
troy. – this shows a lot about the culture because it demonstrates the priorities.
• The queen got really mad – so she killed herself while she was burning with his
gifts and cursed that there would forever be hatred between her decedents and the
decedents of aneus.
• The puinick wars war between the two sides.
• To prove the depth of her hatred – aneas crossed many frontiers – so he decended
to the underworld and return.
• When he was in the underworld he found clear indication of where would be the
right place to build the new kingdom
• He was told it would be in the right place when he found the white pig with
• They were met by the king there Latinous king – he welcomes them and marries
his daughter to Aneas.
• One of the great things about the romans is that they were really good at
recognizing excellence amoung others and their own creative adaptability
Aneas blends everything together by marrying her. This does make issues
because she was already engaged to some town guy. Aneas and that guy have a
war and he wins – they mastered what to do with defeated people.
• Aneas finds a place Alba Longa –
• Aneas dies and his two decendents two brothers are in conflict over the kingdom
– everything is over Rea