Bronze Age Greece. Minoans and Mycenaeans
Around 3600 BC technological change on Crete - combining of copper and tin to create
bronze, good for tools. Exceeded development on mainland.
Mycenaean’s conquered Crete
Both Minoans and Mycenaean cultures end abruptly - many theories
- Dorians dominated Greek peninsula - evidence - cultural shift, shift to
worshiping men rather than women, language shift
Gap where we’re not sure what happened because no literary evidence -culture declined
but iron became popular
MYTH OF KING MINONS
-Zeus has an affair with a women in Phenesia called Europa. seduces her by disguising as
a bull, with her on his back he swan with her to Crete.
- the child was Minos, grew up on Crete and wanted to be ruler so he prayed to
Poseidon who consented on one condition - he would sacrifice his most prized bull.
- Minos attempts to deceive him by sacrificing a lesser bull . Huybris - pride
- Poseidon decides to punish Minos through his wife Pasiphae - he made her in love
with the bull Minos would not sacrifice.
- She gave birth to Minotaur (Mino’s bull) , with