English (384)
ENGL 3020 (28)

sept 19.docx

5 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
ENGL 3020
Andrew Bretz

Sept 19 2012 ENGL 3020 Chiasmus and Richard II Chiasmus:  a placing crosswise  I wasted time and now doth time waste me o I – subject 1 o wasted – verb o time- object 1 o time -subject (object 1) o waste- verb o me – object (subject 1)  shift in tense  rhetorical trope throughout play  chiastically**  play is built on the model of chiasmus  Hazlitt  chiasmus – act 4 o giving up the crown o didn’t fit into the model of chiasmus o makes sense that it doesn’t fit in, because it was put in after the play was published o later insertion of the play that messes up the chiastic structure  chiasmus vs antithesis o “think not the king did banish thee, but thou the king” o “crafty men contemn studies, simple men admire them, and wise men use them”- francis bacon  differentiation, different kinds of men o antithesis  allows differentiation  different nouns reps different subjects in parallel sequences  no shifting of the noun  “men are from mars, woman are from venus”  trying to distinguish, see the difference o Edward lost for love, Richard lost for words, bolingbroke lost his soul, but harry gains france o “so tired of being sick, so sick of being tired”  chiastic structure philosophy of language  condensate figures of speech (metaphor) o x is y  distinguishing figures of speech (metonymy) o x has unique identity to y  chiasmus – interchangeability of two terms  grammatically they are structurally similar  condensate or distinguishing?  one subject is related to the other, the object is related to the subject  there are lots of relationship of identity that are chiastic  “I am a brother to my brother, and he is a brother to me”  bilateral relationship NOT CHIASMUS o mutuality  “they are cousins to each other”  kings and subjects are not in a bilateral relationship  figuratively – king and earl in relationship o Edward ii – raises gaveston to make him lord of man, really making him lord of himself o king cant have a lord o he is the top of the system o bizarre relationship wasting time  what are you doing when you are wasting time? o avoiding something!  rendering yourself impotent  refusing to act in a way that makes sense in the world  if time wastes you  it is laying waste to you o destroying you  you waste time – incapable of action  time waste you – you are incapable of action b/c you are dead etc  similar but different (in results)  relationship that is asymmetrical  can you create a chiasmus kingship? o occurs in Richard ii chiastic structure  act one o riachard as tyrant o henry banished  act three o Richard as impotent o back from Ireland o henry triumphant  act four o not part of original play o on stage giving up crown o doesn’t have to do it symbolically did in act three  act five o Richard as isolated o desolation o henry as “tyrant” gages  read in subtext  serious scene  highly ceremonial  gage- the gloves (fancy ones)  no one wore gauntlet – when throwing down a gage throwing down glove old traitors, youn
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 3020

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.