English
Course
ENGL 3550
Professor
Scott Schau
Semester
Winter

Description
Lecture Wed. Feb. 27 2013 Sylvia Plath -cross-genre comparisons -close reading of openings -reading biographically Writing the self into being In poetry and fiction -lady lazarus and the bell jar -similarities lady lazarus : out of the ash I rise with my red hair the bell jar: I am, I am , I am. (166) I am, I am, I am. (256) -writing the self into -female first person speaker(poem) and narrator(novel/story) -what happens to this voice?? -cyclical structure -woman undergoes multiple deaths and re-births, adopts multiple identities -women exposed to public scrutiny (sexualized) -woman defying gender conventions -woman for whom pain and power closely related -differences: genres -lady lazarus -poetry, lyrics poem, “confessional poetry” -free verse: poetry which does not conform to any metrical pattern, but uses line divisions which shape the rhythms of the language for specific ends -the bell jar -novel, social realism, Kunstlerroman -expressionism? (cf. invisible man) -differences: point of view -poetic speaker -compressed timeframe, no geographical location -intense, utterance of experience -linguistic concentration -first person fictional narrator -telling story over time and geographical space -narrative pacing of events -climax, suspense, denouement Close Reading of LL opening -compression, intensity -regular stanzas -triplets -sound effects -irregular rhyme, perfect (again/ten) to slant (ten/skin, foot/weight) -poem beings and ends with perfect rhyme -irregular rhythm or metre -enjambment (where a ling or stanza runs into the next) e.g. “one year in every ten…..i manage it) -alliteration (e.g. “f” sounds) -figures of speech/tropes -persona (biblical, historical, mythological) -simile to metaphor (stanza 2-3) -(layered and intensified forms of objectification: female personae embody and voice experience of exposure, death, rebirth) st Lecture Mar. 1 2013 Compression, intensity (possible interpretat
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 3550

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit