English
Course
ENGL 3550
Professor
Scott Schau
Semester
Winter

Description
th Lecture Wed. Mar. 13 2013 -quoting and citing poetry on slide online if you are unclear of how to do this ―Di rayze aheym‖ The Journey Home Biographical reading -Klepfisz’s own exile to America -loss of family, culture, language -bold is not encouraging us to think of Klepfisz as the speaker -there is a relationship between the speakers identity and Klepfisz -speaker voices Klepfisz experiences but is not her -create space between the speaker and the author, they are different -―because I hear resonances of Klepfisz biography in the speakers images, I interpret it to mean… ―(answer) -trip to Poland in 1983 -see parts 3 and 4, especially -we can hear the journey quite literally -the idea of journey’s -foraging new community and alliances -Klepfisz enters the community of the dead to not just talk about herself but to connect with ppl Author, narrator/speaker, reader author—implied author—narrator/speaker narratee/addressee—implied reader (an non Yiddish speaking person)—reader Cultural Reading Quote ―Language is the only homeland‖ –Czeslaw Milosz -Klepfisz’s epigraph to ―Fradel schtok‖ Think if it: heym and home the meaning the same of course exactly but the shift in vowel was the ocean in which I downed From: Fradel schtok ―Di rayze aheym/The journey home‖: ―One of Klepfisz’s most sustained efforts to reside in language‖ (Shreiber 281) -Yiddish: a ―language of fusion‖ (Max Weinreich, qtd. Shreiber 278) -―Yiddish is the fading legacy of a world inhabited largely by ghosts, a diminished thing‖ (Shreiber 280) -―poetry of cultural re-creation‖ –Adrienne Rich -the language is under threat as the land is under threat, it is one of those languages that has survived but in a very tentative kind of shape th Lecture Fri. Mar. 15 2013 Today: Gloria Anzaldua -history of geography -biography -cultural politics -Anzaldua & Klepfisz -―El Sonavabitche‖ -language and borders Mexican-American Border Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo 1848 ―We didn’t cross the border the border crossed us‖ -popular Chicano saying, slogan of immigrants rights movement -the border moved north Gloria Anzaldua: Biography -1942-2004, died recently -born south Texas to migrant farm workers (very impoverished circumstances) -she worked as a sharecropper, this is heavy manual work
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 3550

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit