English
Course
ENGL 3550
Professor
Scott Schau
Semester
Winter

Description
ENGL 3550 Wednesday, February 13, 2013 Prologue - Hole o Of. The America Play - How voice emerges from hole o “I” to “you” to “he” Repetitions and revisions - Constitution and reconstitution of “I” throughout novel - Remaking the “I” and his own subjectivity. Remaking himself - E.g. interrogations in factory hospital: interrogation about who he is ch 11 and then ch 12 begins with him coming up from subway—sort of rebirth Constitutions of the self: - Personal - Political - Existential—a notion of identity as metaphysical - Racial(ized) o “the vast whiteness in which I myself was lost” (238) o “who am I?... maybe I was just this blackness and bewilderment and pain, but that semmes less like a suitable answer than something I’s read somewhere”(240) o “When I discover who I am, I’ll be free” (243) - “who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?(IM 581) o “I” to “you” o You as audience (reader) – reaching out to reader, making connection between races (white and black), or a direct connection to Black if reader is Black. o Or you as himself. - Also slipperiness of identity o Shifting names, identities, disguise, misrecognition Prologue continued: - Visibility of black man o Images of eyes and blindness  Sight, blindness o Accompanied by violence and laughter (5)  Violence connected to visability - Light from Monopolated Light and Power o Drawing on white power  Stealing and diverting it ENGL 3550 o To define self (7)  To give himself power, surrounding himself with light Above picture : “after Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison, the Prologue,” Jeff Wall (1999-2000) Repetitions and revisions - Motifs of eyes, sight, blindness throughout novel - Eg. Battle royal: black boys blinded by white blindfolds imposed by white men (21 ff) - Vet in the Golden Day on blindness and race relations (95) - Blindness of Rev. Barbee, preaching at college (113) - Light blinding protagonist at first speech for brotherhood (338) - False vision Brother Jack’s false eye (474) - Reinhart’s sunglasses (483) o He starts to see things better as Reinhart  The less people are able to see him the more he is able to see them. - Vision - Light blinding - Whiteness and light is blinding - Prologue Con’d - Voice and sound - Louis Armstrong performance as intertext o “perhaps I like Louis Armstrong because he’s made poetry out of being invisible” (8) o “I play the invisible music of my isolation” (13) Look at picture below—detail about sound-record player is there –character is listening to it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHLTI2cMCQk ENGL 3550 - “What did I do to be so black and blue” listened to it in multiple ways Multiple layers—multiple dim
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 3550

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit