SEPTEMBER 6 th– WEEK 1
- Begin with writing an agenda on the board
- You Your classroom (Psyc course) Ontario (Legal Principles)
Society (Social Foundations of Education)
- One item for portfolio from every single course. Choose one class
contribution to submit and write a reflection on, in APA format.
Example posted on Blackboard. Reflection is written in class but can
be emailed within 48hours if not completed. To be marked by prof.
- Outline Page 13 „Dispositions‟ Grading = 20%.
- Education in Canada is purely a provincial jurisdiction. Thus, the
rules in Ontario do not apply elsewhere. There are both laws and
policies that govern us.
- Law = enforced; legislation that has been passed; can be made
only by government. E.g. (new) Sabrina‟s law in adhering to
- Policy = softly enforced; guidelines for how to do things; there are
consequences; can be made by anyone. E.g. Curriculum Policy (i.e.
what topics we must teach. Assessment Policy (how to grade
students). School dress code policies. Equity and Inclusion policies.
Environmental education policies, etc.
- Bill 115: Putting Students 1 Act NOT about money, but
includes: a wage freeze, and getting rid of sick days (which are
non-issues). Significant: No strikes (ever), no collective bargaining,
taking away hiring autonomy from the boards. Until now every
school board had a separate collective agreement, where a strike
would only affect the particular school board in question. T