European Studies
Course
EURO 1200
Professor
Paola Mayer
Semester
Fall

Description
Goya The Sleep of Reason Against the flamboyancy of the Baroque and the delicacy of the Rococo, a new voice that chronicles resolution, war, despair, cynicism The writer Charles Baudelaire characterized Goya's work as depicting: "A love of the ungraspable, a feeling for violent contrast," and said "he gives monstrosity the ring of truth." because of this uniquely romantic ad mixture Associated with the art movement generally classified as Romanticism, the Romantics emphasized emotion, subjectivity, passion, dreams, myths , the irrational Pictures of untamed and fire e nature, exotic settings, and dramatic action, an emphasis on the past, seen with nostalgia, longing, melancholy passion Wordsworth's poem, Daffodils: "I wandered lonely as a cloud/ that floats on high o'ver vales and hill?…" "But I am a blasted tree; the bolt has entered my soul; and i felt then that i should survive to exhibit what i shall soon cease to be - a miserable spec tale of wrecked humanity, pitiable to others and interoperable to myself. " from Mary Shelley, Frankenstein making association between himself and nature Capar David Friedrich, The Wanderer above the Mists, 1817 18, Hamburg vastness of the landscape looking into the past, just as the figure is looking into the past some see as an indication of the notion of the sublime two ideas about nature, one to do with beautiful, other the sublime, contrasts sublime with beauty, awesome man's lack of control over nature Early Goya, 1770s, Crockery Vendor, Holy Family; as a young man he was apprenticed to the Spanish Rococo painter Bayeu, makes cartoons for Royal tapestry workshop, under the influence of Neoclassicism and especially Raphael Mengs Velazquez, the water Carrier of Seville, 1623, London/ Goya, the Water Carrier, 1808-12, Budapest; he is also very conscious of Spanish tradition aware of the painters that came before him very common people in both paintings Goya is less intimate still has some lingering Rococo with the way he works with pigments An interest in folklore, superstition: The Witches' Sabbath, 1789, now Madrid; Goya's art balances the traditions of the church and folklore against the Enlightenment and probes the gulf between totalitarian power and the ideals represented but he French Revolution; I call him a kind of twilight traveler cult devoted to Apollo, and pan Velazquez, Philip IV as Hunter (Baroque, 17c)/Goya, Charles III in Hunting Costume (Charles III de. 1788) Velazquez, pale face Charles, colour to the face difference in posture, Charles not as regal shows Velazquez has more confidence in the monarchy more relaxed, Charles, laziness Philip looks ready to go, Charles doesn't even have his glove on yet Goya is being critical of the people he is working for Charles IV of Spain (d. 1819) re-instituted the Inquisition, suppressed intellectuals; Goya took the side of the Madrid intellectuals; believed in the liberal ideals of the French school of philosophers Wanted to encourage the recuperation of reason in Spanish political life but his
More Less

Related notes for EURO 1200

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit