Family Relations and Human Development
Course
FRHD 1010
Professor
Robin Milhausen
Semester
Summer

Description
19/11/12 Life Health and Well Being Chap 14: Staying Safe: Preventing Injury, Violence and Victimization  Communication and Relationships o Social support  The individual’s belief that he or she is care for and loved  Belonging, being accepted, feeling loved and being needed  Made up of people who meet financial, personal, physical or emotional needs o Communication  Stems from the desire to know and a decision to tell  In opening up to others, we increase our own self knowledge and understanding  Good communication skills and building relationships support the social health dimension of health and wellness o Talking and listening  Daily communication focuses on facts: who, what, where, when and how  Emotions are difficult to convey and comprehend  Friendships and intimate relationships always demand an emotional investment  We must learn to commuicat anger as well as affection, adness, and joy o Listening  Integral part of communication  Active process of trying to understand the other person’s feelings and motivation  Effective listeners ask questions to bring clarification and prompt the person to continue once their questions have been answered o Nonverbal communication  More than 90% of communication may be nonverbal  Most common nonverbal communication includes the use of space or proximity, touch, eye contact, facial expressions, gestures, posture, physical appearance and paraverbal language  Learning to interpret what people don’t say can reveal more than what they do say o Nonverbal communication and culture  Culture influences body language  Eye contact can be hostile or challenging in some cultures but shows friendliness in others  Personal space also varies in societies o A romantic relationships shows promist if:  You feel at ease with your new partner  You feel good about your new parter when you’re tougher and when you’re not  Your partner is open with you about his or her life  You can say no to each other without feeling guily  You feel cared for, appreciated and accepted as you are  Your partner really listens to what you have to say o Attachment theory  Boelby and colleagues  All human beings develop attachments early in life  Need for attachments continue throughout our life  We are wired for human connection  Attachment needs are lifelong o Cornerstons of attachment  Proximity maintenance the desire to be near the people we are attached to  Safe haven returning to the attachment figure for comfort and safety in the face of a fear or threat  Secure base the attachment figure acts as a base of security from which the child can explore the surrounding environment  Separation distress anxiety that occurs in the absence of the attachment figure o Building blocks of attachment  Acceptance  Emotional accessibility  I am there for you  You matter to me  Responsiveness  Physically  Emotionally o Positive attachments  Lead to emotional adjustment  Personal growth  Build confidence  Enhance self esteem  Enable you to take risks o Attachments in a crisis  Attachment needs are neightened  Traumatic event  Life stransitions o Leaving home, birth of a child etc  Lack of responsiveness leads to an injury to the relationships o Relationship becomes insecure  Crises bring us closer or drive us apart o Insecure attachments  Lead to fearfulness  Sense of unworthiness  Insecurity  Stress  Physical illness o Attachment anxiety/avoidance  Secure comfortable with intimacy and autonomy  Avoidant dismissing dismissing of intimacy unconcerned about rejection  Preoccupied preoccupied with relationship  Avoidant- fearful fearful of rejection socially avoidant o Adult attachment styles  Bartholomew and Horowitz (1991) developed a four category model of adult attachment styles:  Secure o It is relatively easy for me to become emotionally close to others, i am comfortable depending on others and having other depend on me. I don’t worry about being alone or having others not accept me  Preoccupied o I am uncomfortable being without close relationships, but I sometimes worry that other don’t value me as much as I value them  Avoidant dimissing o It is very important to me to feel independent and self sufficient and I prefer to depend on others or have others depend on me  Avoidant fearful o I want emotionally close relationships, but I find it difficult to trust other completely, or to depend on them o Stability of attachment styles  Longitudinal studies show moderate stability over the first 19 years of life, and later in adulthood  Attachment styles can be altered by life events (in a positive and negative direction)  If we feel abandoned in a moment of need we are set to enter a state of panic o Foundational ideas  Bowlby’s Attachment theory  Roger’s person centered  Perl;s gestalt  Family systems theory  Satir’s Experiential ideas o Interaction
More Less

Related notes for FRHD 1010

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit