Family Relations and Human Development
Course
FRHD 2110
Professor
Wozniak
Semester
Winter

Description
Children and Youth with Exceptionalities Week 3 Lecture 2 Parents and Families Siblings and Children with Exceptionalities • Little information available • Experience similar emotions to their parents in reacting to their siblings: fear, anger and guilt. • May be pressure on the typical developing child to “make up for” the deficits in the child with an exceptionality. May find themselves baring higher expectations from their parents or they may be expected to repress their abilities to not outperform their sibling with an exceptionality. Continued… • Child may feel embarrassment in relating to the sibling with an exceptionality in the company of peers in public. (ie. De-identification and not wanting to associate with their sibling). • Sibling without an exceptionality may take on caretaking or teacher role when interacting with their sibling. • Children can adapt well or poorly to having family members with exceptionalities. Continued… • Siblings’ adjustment o Birth order, gender, and age difference between siblings influence adjustment. (ie. adults who are of the same gender as their sibling with an exceptionality experience closer emotional bonds with each other = gender makes a difference). • Access to information is key for sibling adjustment o Siblings have many questions about their siblings’ exceptionality. Parents should be providing straight forward answers to their questions to help them cope. • Their sibling with an exceptionality o What caused the exceptionality? o Why does my sibling behave so strangely? o Will my sibling ever live on her own? • Their parents o Why do they let my sibling get away with so much? o Why must all their time be given to my sibling? o Why do they always ask me to babysit? • Themselves o Why do I have such mixed feelings about my sibling? o Will I “catch” the exceptionality? o Will we have a normal sibling relationship? • Their friends o How can I tell my best friend about my sibling? o Will my friends tell everyone at school? o What should I do when other kids make fun of children with exceptionalities? • Their school and community o What happens in special education classes? o Will I be compared to my sibling? o What should I tell strangers? • Adulthood o Will I be responsible for my sibling when my parents die? o Do I need genetic counselling? o Should I join a siblings’ group? Video Clip • Sibshops o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrBAbd7n6Q 1. How do Sibshops provide the siblings of children with exceptionalities opportunities for peer support? 2. How do Sibshops positively impact the feeling of children who have siblings with exceptionalities? Being able to talk in an open environment to other’s who may be experiencing similar feelings or reactions to their siblings. 3. How do Sibshops teach coping strategies to children who have siblings with an exceptionality? It taught them new strategies that they are able to bring home to interact with their siblings. Creates a better environment for the family. During the group, they were able to take on the role of a child with an exceptionality to gain perspective. Family Involvement in Treatment and Educat
More Less

Related notes for FRHD 2110

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit