Week 8 – Language Development
4 ASPECTS OF LANGUAGE
1) Phonology – the sounds of a language
2) Semantics – words and their meaning
3) Grammar – structure of language
4) Pragmatics – language is used for effective communication
- Ability to attend to sound sequences; produce phonemes; combine them to understand words/phrases.
- Development completed by age 5; some not acquired until mid-childhood; ex. green house, greenhouse.
1) Simplify the pronunciation of adult words; ex. banana becomes nana
2) Replacing hissing sounds with stop consonant sounds; ex. sea becomes tea.
- Study o