Learning Via Alternatives to Social Research
Authority: experts, if an authority or expert says its true, then it must be. But there may be
self-proclaimed experts they think they can just write a book about anything even though
they do not have the qualifications.
Tradition: the idea that something is true because that is the way it has always been.
Common Sense: pure logic, or ordinary reasoning.
Examples of clichés:
1. Opposites Attract
- Vs birds of a feather flock together
2. Absence makes the heart grow fonder
- Vs. out of sight, out of mind
3. 2 heads are better than 1
- Vs. too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth
Media Myths: Seeing it in the media, makes it true
Personal Experience: if you have experienced it, then it is true
How Social Science Works
- Versus physical sciences: harder to contradict physical science compared to