FRHD 2270 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Orienting Response, Learning Disability, Habituation

36 views3 pages

Document Summary

What develops in infancy and continues: taste, smell, touch, seeing/perceiving. Other areas of understanding develop in middle childhood. Pay attention when interested, not when uninterested: i. e. boring lectures. Show orienting response: for strong and unfamiliar stimulus, fix your eyes, startles you, heart rate, i. e. sound of a car back firing. Habituation: become accustomed to a stimulus, orienting response disappears after repeated presentations, attention is selective i. e. living by the hanlon, habituation is associated with intelligence. 1 years old: easily distracted, less focused. 3. 5 year olds: less distracted, more concentration. 8-10 year olds: huge improvements i. e. older children stay engaged longer watching. Draw attention to the relevant info and less attention to the irrelevant: i. e. removing clutter, i. e. closing classroom doors to remove outside noises. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (adhd: caddra: approx. 8-10% of males and 3-4% of females under age 18 have adhd: diagnostic criteria: Symptoms need to occur in more than 1 setting i. e. school and home.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers