FRHD 2280 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Ontogeny, Acculturation, Visible Minority

29 views3 pages

Document Summary

Shared norms, beliefs, attitudes, values, behaviours, and role definitions that are shared from one generation to the next. Beliefs and behaviours that are deemed right/wrong. Beliefs and ideas that we have about everything (symbolic inheritance) Can be religious, political, familial and communal. How people acquire the behaviours and beliefs of their culture. Collectivism: interdependence, conformity, interdependent self, narrow socialization. Not pure types (no culture is only individualism or only collectivism ) Diversity within individuals (some may be individualist at work and collectivist at home) Degree of restrictiveness i. e. you"re aloud to go out but be back by 10pm . *individualism-collectivism and broad-narrow are not meant to imply moral evaluations) Source of meaning: origin of the world, place in community i. e. gay rights in russia narrow . Typical practice in a culture and the cultural beliefs that provide the basis for the practice. Driven by innate processes i. e. custom complex = nurture.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers