FRHD 3060 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Metanarrative, Consumerism, Invisibility

20 views2 pages

Document Summary

Focus on lack of disease or disability. Defining successful aging on behalf of older adults. Various studies highlight invisibility as a metanarrative for older adults. Older adults are often judged on their physical appearance: particularly true for older adult women. Studies point to the notion of consumerism as a means to maintain a youthful look and opt out of ageing. Agi(cid:374)g su(cid:272)(cid:272)essfully is said to (cid:271)e a(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual respo(cid:374)si(cid:271)ility a(cid:374)d o(cid:374)e"s pu(cid:271)li(cid:272) duty. As a consumer group for holidays, older adults described as golden agers able and active. Older adults are portrayed as dependent on society and framed as problematic: unquestioned stereotype. As a consumer group for holidays, older adults are also infantilized. How might these representations of aging reinforce ageism. They define successful aging with assumptions of self reliance, productivity, and effectiveness. Based o(cid:374) ho(cid:449) losses a(cid:374)d li(cid:373)itatio(cid:374)s are i(cid:374)(cid:272)orporated i(cid:374)to o(cid:374)e"s attitude a(cid:271)out old age. Focus on existential aspects of life an see aging as a multidimensional process.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers