FRHD 3070 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Motivation, Sexual Objectification, Cognitive Evaluation Theory

60 views7 pages

Document Summary

Definition set of interrelated hypotheses that is used to explain phenomenon and make predictions about associations among constructs relevant to the phenomenon. Role of theory develops research questions. Parsimonious (simple) why go complex if simple does an adequate job. Clear and logical should not contradict itself. Falsifiable capable of being shown to be false/not supportive. Induction idea of developing a hypothesis (go out and make observations, using that info you try to find out what causes something) Possible explanations for an association between 2 variables. Can also do this for stress/divorce (high levels of stress high levels of divorce positive relationship) Another variable (i. e. fighting, lack of resources) leads to high levels of stress and high levels of divorce as well as other effects (i. e. poorly adjusted children) Discipline have their own theories i. e. within psychology there are many different theories. Researchers ask questions related to theories discipline influences what questions are asked.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers