HIST 2200 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Celtic Christianity, Diarmait Mac Murchada, Knight-Service

38 views4 pages
Published on 24 Apr 2017
Department
Course
Hist*2200
Chelsea Hartlen
T/Th 1:00-2:20
Lecture #12
!1
Topic - The British Isles: The Norman Invasion and It’s Aftermath
Outline
England (largest and most populated. Employed feudalism that changes drastically when
Normans invade)
Wales (third and last part of “Britain proper” made up of many tiny kingdoms - kinglets,
Norman interference wasn’t new. Anglo-Saxon’s had already tried to attack them).
Scotland (still divided into 2 kingdoms, viking threats led them to come together, practice an
alternating kingship, eventually expands due to a unified kingdom)
Ireland (not part of Britain, not a United Kingdom, divided in Kinglets joined by a High King
of confederates)
Britain - refers to all of the England, Wales and Scotland
British Isles - includes Ireland
New English kings tried to conquer all of the British Isles.
England sought mastery over all of the Isles, whereas everyone wanted control of JUST their
land.
Once England was stable (think bored child, they had nothing to do, looking at other kids toys).
Kings look to Wales, Scotland and Ireland.
Aftershock of Norman Invasions
England
-William the Conqueror: promised the kingdom by Edward the Confessor, but it was contested
by ________
-1066: Harold Godwinson and Harald Hardrada were fighting the Battle of Stamford Bridge
William snuck in to get what was really his
Battle of Hastings: William overthrows Godwinson
-William was crowned William I of England on Christmas day in 1066
-Whoever had the crown, had England
Harold Goodwinson (r. Jan-Oct 1066)
Edward Longshanks/Edward I of England (r.
1272-1307)
William the Conqueror/William I of England
(r. 1077-1087)
William the Lion/William I of Scotland (r.
1165-1214)
Malcolm III (r. 1058-1093) + St. Margaret of
Scotland
Henry II of England (r. 1154-1189)
David I of Scotland (r. 1124-1154)
Domesday Book
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Topic - the british isles: the norman invasion and it"s aftermath. William the conqueror/william i of england (r. 1077-1087) Malcolm iii (r. 1058-1093) + st. margaret of. Normans invade: wales (third and last part of britain proper made up of many tiny kingdoms - kinglets, Britain - refers to all of the england, wales and scotland. New english kings tried to conquer all of the british isles. England sought mastery over all of the isles, whereas everyone wanted control of just their land. Once england was stable (think bored child, they had nothing to do, looking at other kids toys). William the conqueror: promised the kingdom by edward the confessor, but it was contested by ________ 1066: harold godwinson and harald hardrada were fighting the battle of stamford bridge: william snuck in to get what was really his, battle of hastings: william overthrows godwinson. William was crowned william i of england on christmas day in 1066.

Get OneClass Grade+

Unlimited access to all notes and study guides.

YearlyMost Popular
75% OFF
$9.98/m
Monthly
$39.98/m
Single doc
$39.98

or

You will be charged $119.76 upfront and auto renewed at the end of each cycle. You may cancel anytime under Payment Settings. For more information, see our Terms and Privacy.
Payments are encrypted using 256-bit SSL. Powered by Stripe.