History Lecture 6.docx

3 Pages

Department
History
Course Code
HIST 2800
Professor
Linda Mahood

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
HIST*2800-01; Feb.27/13; Manhood Pg. 1/3
Lecture 6
“I Spelled Marriage_”M-I-R-A-G-E”:
- Written by company (Lysol)
- Article about feminine hygiene problem
- Probably written closely after the end of WWII
- Aimed toward a housewife
o Mentions that Lysol can be used to “guard your family against infection”
- Women at this time would have gone to the experts over their problems
o It was seen as backwards if a women went to friends, mother, mother-in-law, sisters for
advice
The 50’s: The Way We Never Were
- The North American 1950’s family saw themselves as ideal/living the ideal life that the world
envied
- People were domestic and family-focused
- The 1950’s housewife was made to feel guilty if she didn’t do everything herself (cooking,
cleaning, child-rearing)
o Very different from Victorian women who had maids look after their children and clean
- Media talked about how women could be completely useful in the 50’s
o Women worked in munitions family, on the land, in the air force
- War showed how easily the gender division could be altered or changed
o Also showed how men could be easily immobilized to leave their families and go to war
- When the war was over, it was time for people to settle down
o The media reconstructed the image of domesticity and the proper role of men and
women
The women as soft, sweet, and feminine
The men as reliable
o Men couldn’t be unemployed so women returned to the home to be housewives
- The notion of The Cold War and fear of strangers, spies, and communists were big in people’s
mind
o People were encouraged not to trust strangers
o Family was supposedly the only place where people were genuinely safe
Welfare state:
- Government has the responsibility for the well-being of all its citizens: ‘from the cradle to the
grave’
o Unemployment benefits
o Family allowance
o Income supplements for the poorly paid
o Old-age pensions
o Comprehensive medical care
Made it easier to have children
o Free education
State-paid-for education
o Public housing

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
HIST*2800-01; Feb.27/13; Manhood Pg. 1/3 Lecture 6 “I Spelled Marriage_”M-I-R-A-G-E”: - Written by company (Lysol) - Article about feminine hygiene problem - Probably written closely after the end of WWII - Aimed toward a housewife o Mentions that Lysol can be used to “guard your family against infection” - Women at this time would have gone to the experts over their problems o It was seen as backwards if a women went to friends, mother, mother-in-law, sisters for advice The 50’s: The Way We Never Were - The North American 1950’s family saw themselves as ideal/living the ideal life that the world envied - People were domestic and family-focused - The 1950’s housewife was made to feel guilty if she didn’t do everything herself (cooking, cleaning, child-rearing) o Very different from Victorian women who had maids look after their children and clean - Media talked about how women could be completely useful in the 50’s o Women worked in munitions family, on the land, in the air force - War showed how easily the gender division could be altered or changed o Also showed how men could be easily immobilized to leave their families and go to war - When the war was over, it was time for people to settle down o The media reconstructed the image of domesticity and the proper role of men and women  The women as soft, sweet, and feminine  The men as reliable o Men couldn’t be unemployed so women returned to the home to be housewives - The notion of The Cold War and fear of strangers, spies, and communists were big in people’s mind o People were encouraged not to trust strangers o Family was supposedly the only place where people were genuinely safe Welfare state: - Government has the responsibility for the well-being of all its citizens: ‘from the cradle to the grave’ o Unemployment benefits o Family allowance o Income supplements for the poorly paid o Old-age pensions o Comprehensive medical care  Made it easier to have children o Free education  State-paid-for education o Public housing 2/3 - A lot of these welfare state benefits were seen by people as rights - The housewife’s responsibility was to spend the money provided by her breadwinner-husband to support the family - Assumption that childhood was the preparation for marriage, and marriage was for people to settle down, produce and raise children The Family in the Media: Narrow Ideal of Adulthood - In the early 1950’s, Canadians envied the American Dream and lifestyle - The images of people in 50’s sitcoms are caricatures of people - Fantasy of the perfect family where eventually everyone will be happy o There will always be little problems to solve o Capture people’s imagination - Movies were different than sitcoms o Sometimes presented marriage and family as living hell  Sexual frustration, parental anxiety, adolescent rebellion, loveless marriage, alcoholism
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit