History (1,238)
HIST 3020 (17)

feb 11 2014.docx

4 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
HIST 3020
Caitlin Holton

HIST 3020 Codes of Behaviour 1. History of masculinities case study: henry VI a. Henry V; 1386-1422 i. King of England 1413-22 ii. 1400-08 engaged in battles with the welsh iii. hundred years war iv. victory at the battle ofAgincourt; spectacular English victory that occurred on French soil v. use of welsh archery contributed to English success b. Henry VIl 1421-71 i. King of England from 1422 to 1461, 1470-1 ii. Traditionally seen as the worst king of England and someone who inherited two kingdoms and lost both iii. Anti-chivalric iv. The king that lost france v. 1453, fell into a coma (insanity? Lost his senses?)—damaged his authority and the legal and financial state of the kingdom vi. deposed in 1461 by his wife and her alleged lover, regained the throne briefly 1470-1 vii. didn’t engage in the culture 2. Historiography of pre-modern behavioral codes a. Codes were heavily contested b. Far from being a strict doctrine of behaviour c. Norbert elias, 1897-1990 i. German sociologist ii. Most famous work was Uber den Prozess der Zivilisation, 1939 iii. Claimed a dramatic cultural change occurred in the mid 16 th century that transformed the chivalric feudal warrior into a polished courtier iv. Connection of these ideas to shame v. Courtesy to civility vi. Idea of honour being recognized and challenged vii. Court was sight where social judgment was passed viii. Nobility/civility was ethos to live by 3. Chivalry a. ‘an ethos in which martial, aristocratic, and Christian elements were fused together’ b. military: skill in horsemanship c. aristocratic: function of knighthood and scale of virtues; matter of worth as much as lineage d. Christian: free of the imprint of ecclesiastical prejudice and priorities e. From the French word chevalier; earliest usage means only a group of horsemen f. Early works that established the cultural meaning of chivalry include: i. Ordene de chevalerie ii. Book of the ordre of chivalry iii. The book of chivalry g. Emphasize loyalty, courtesy, hardiness, prowess, largess, good judgment, honour, and protection of women h. Ramon llull, 1235-1316 i. Grew up a companion of the future king james of Majorca ii. 1263: began to have visions/revelations, dedicated his life to converting muslims to Christianity iii. wrote appeox, 265 different works iv. articulated a model of chivalry combining the martial, aristocratic and Christian values in the book of the ordre of chivalry v. book of the ordre of chivalry 1. written after his conversion moment, between 1279 and 1283 2. more Christian than the other early manuals of chivalry 3. translated from catalan to French, Castilian, middle scots and English 4. THE classic account of knighthood and chivalry vi. Llull’s knight 1. Should be able bodied, good lineage, wealthy, wise, generous, loyal, courageous, honorable, 2. Should avoid pride, lechery, false oaths, treachery i. Evolution i. Central asepcts/characteristics remained largely unchanged from 13 to 16 centuries ii. Practice evolved becoming increasingly elaborate, structured, ritualistic, ‘exhibitionist and extravagent’often to the point of vulgarity iii. Changed in practice were tied to changes in economic and social conditions of the aristocracy and irse of non-aristocrat
More Less

Related notes for HIST 3020

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.