Summer 2015

Department
History
Course Code
HIST 3130
Professor
Ashley Mathisen
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full page of the document.
Unit 4 – Virtual Notebook Entry 4.2
How does the text present a moralistic view of criminality?
The text seems to present a poverty-stricken family – likely travellers or gypsies – without the
“normal” moral compass of society. The opening paragraph discusses that Tawny Rachel and
her husband – a poacher – did not find what they needed in “regular labour and honest
industry.” Rachel travelled with items to trade in order to find a way into the houses of her
victims to ‘fortune tell’ and decipher dreams. The entire story suggests that Rachel finds ways
to slither into the lives of her victims by finding their weaknesses (i.e. searching for cures for
their ailments, connecting with the supernatural, etc.). It makes the reader uncomfortable as
Rachel commits crimes so easily and reinforces the public distaste for gypsies and travellers.
The morals of society praise honest work; however, those who flourish from deviant activities
are anomalies within society and frowned upon.
How do you think this would have been received by the public?
I believe that the public would have viewed this as a public service announcement of sorts. The
laws and regulations of society were based around the church and the bible; therefore, Rachel
would have been viewed as a deviant witch.
Do you think it would have been an effective deterrent to criminal activity?
I believe that it would have initially deterred criminal activity as the takeaway from the story is
that giving your faith to a fortune teller causes you to act against God, which frightens people.
Fear works to deter activities of any sort.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Unit 4 Virtual Notebook Entry 4.2 How does the text present a moralistic view of criminality? The text seems to present a povertystricken family likely travellers or gypsies without the normal moral compass of society. The opening paragraph discusses that Tawny Rachel and her husband a poacher did not find what they needed in regular labour and honest industry. Rachel travelled with items to trade in order to find a way into the houses of her victims to fortune tell and decipher dreams. The entire story suggests that Rachel finds ways to slither into the lives of her victims by finding their weaknesses (i.e. searching for cures for their ailments, connecting with the supernatural, etc.). It makes the reader uncomfortable as Rachel commits crimes so easily and reinforces the
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit