Hospitality and Tourism Management
Course
HTM 2700
Professor
Val Allen
Semester
Fall

Description
45Week 9 Milk and Cheese Constituents in Milk: 1) In Solution (milk is 87% water)  a. Water­soluble vitamins (riboflavin= good source, thiamin= small amount,  niacin= small amount {all b­vitamins])  b. Ascorbic acid/vitamin­C = small amount c. Minerals:  i. 1/3 of Calcium (Ca)  ii. Potassium (K) iii. Magnesium (Mg) iv. Sodium (Na) d. Lactose= sugar in milk  i. Participate in Maillard browning reaction  e. Salts 2) Constitutes in Colloidal Dispersion a. Stabilized by: i. Brownian movement ii. Like charges repel iii. Water of hydration  b. Remaining 2/3 of Calcium (Ca)  c. Phosphate  d. Proteins – whey proteins and casein proteins Milk Proteins ­ Total protein in milk= 3.3 to 3.5% o 80% casein proteins o 20% whey proteins  Whey Proteins: lactalbumin and lactoglobulin  ­ Readily denatured by heat Casein Proteins:  ­ Alpha ­ Beta  ­ Kappa ­ Exist in a complex with calcium and phosphate  ­ Complex is called: Calcium Phosphocaseinate  ­ Known as CASEIN MICELLE  ­ Denatured by: o Acid o Polyphenolic compounds  o Enzyme rennin  3) Constituents in Emulsions: a. Milk fat: whole milk (3.3 to 4%) i. 2% some fat has been removed ii. 1% most of the fat has been removed iii. Skim milk (0.1­.5%)  b. Milk is a fat­in­water emulsion  i. Fat is dispersed phase and water is the continuous phase c. Fat exists as globules  d. Kept in emulsion by an emulsifying layer around fat globules  i. Emulsifying layer is composed mainly of lipoproteins  e. Vitamins A and D are fat soluble vitamins found in emulsion  Homogenization: ­ Prevent the fat globules from forming larger clusters which rise to the surface of  the milk ­ Reduces the size of fat globules ­ Milk is pumped under extreme pressure through small hole  ­ Better ratio of emulsifying layer to fat globule  ­ Fat globules permanently distributed, as a very fine emulsion, throughout milk ­ Homogenized milk is whiter, more opaque, and easier to digest Pasteurization:  ­ All fluid milk (whole milk, 2%, 1% and skim) and cream must be pasteurized ­ Destroys pathogenic microorganisms ­ In particular TUBERCULOSIS brucellosis  ­ 99.4% if bacteria are destroyed  ­ 15 seconds at 72 degrees C (HTST­ high temperature, short time) OR ­ 2 seconds at 138 degrees C (ultra pasteurization)  PurFiltre Milk: ­ Introduce by 1994 by Ault Foods Ltd. ­ Now sold under brand name ‘Natrel’ or ‘TruTaste’ ­ Milk is passed through extremely fine filter to remove bacteria, then pasteurized  ­ 4 steps: o Separate fat from whole 2% or 1% milk o Filter milk o Add fat back  o Pasteurize milk  ­ 99.9% bacteria removed or destroyed ­ Longer storage time and shorter pasteurization time (= better flavor)  Cultured Dairy Products: (yogurt, sour cream, buttermilk) ­ Inoculate milk with non­pathogenic bacterial culture: o Lactobacillus bulgaris and/or Streptococcus thermophiles ­ Ferments lactose into lactic acid ­ pH decreases from 6.6 to 4.6 (IEP of casein proteins)  ­ Casein proteins denature and coagulate Denaturation of Whey Proteins: ­ Lactalbumin and lactoglobulin  ­ Denatured by heat ­ Denatured whey proteins precipitate out of colloidal dispersion  o Settle to the bottom of a container ­ Direct heat source causes denatured whey proteins to burn o Use double boiler (less than 100 degree Celsius) to heat milk Acid Denaturation of Casein Proteins ­ Casein micelles are colloidally dispersed at pH of milk (pH 6.7) ­ Negative charges around casein micelles repel each other and keep micelles stable  ­ Adding acid decreases the pH and adds hydrogen ions ­ Hydrogen ions neutralize negative charges around micelles  ­ Overall charge on micelles becomes ‘0”  o Bring casein micelles to their IEP (pH 4.6)  ­ At IEP (pH 4.6) micelles are denatured ­ Adhere together forming larger, less stable molecules o Precipitate out of colloidal dispersion= CURDLING o Heat accelerates reaction Minimizing Curdling by Acid: 1) Minimize heating a. Use double boiler (less than a 100 degrees)  b. Heat only to serving temperature (do not boil)  2) Minimize time acid ingredient and casein (in milk) are together a. Ex: adding milk to Cream on Tomato soup in lab just before serving 3) Thicken water phase around casein micelles a. Physically prevents denatured casein micelles from adhering together and  precipitating out of colloidal dispersion i. Use: 1. Starch: if product involves heat (ex: Macaroni and cheese) 2. Or: 3. Gelatin: if conditions are cold (ex: Raspberry Velvet) Denaturation of Casein by Polyphenolic Compounds: ­ Polyphenolic compounds are found in: o Light­coloured, low acid fruits and veggies (ex: potatoes, apples, etc) ­ Polyphenolic compounds remove water of hydration from around the casein  micelles  o Micelles denature o Denatured micelles adhere together and form larger, less stable molecules o Larger molecule precipitate out of colloidal dispersion = CURDLING o Reaction is accelerated by heat Minimize Curdling by Polyphenolic Compounds: 1) Minimize heating:
More Less

Related notes for HTM 2700

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit