Week 11

9 Pages

Department
Hospitality and Tourism Management
Course Code
HTM 2700
Professor
Val Allen

This preview shows pages 1,2 and half of page 3. Sign up to view the full 9 pages of the document.
Description
Week 11:  Muffins and Tea Biscuits  Wheat Grain: 1) Endosperm: starch granule a. Largest part b. Contains protein (70­75%) c. 20% of B­vitamins 2) Bran: 20% of the protein a. Aleurone Cells  b. More than 50% of B­vitamins c. FIBRE  3) Germ: 8% of the protein a. Scutellum  b. 30% of B­vitamins c. Saturated fats Proteins: Bran 20%, Endosperm: 70­75%, Germ: 8% ­ Mainly in aleurone layer and not readily available Fibre: Bran 70%, Endosperm: 8%, Germ: 23% ­ Cellulose and hemicellulose  B­Vitamins: Bran: >50%, Endosperm: 20%, Germ: 30% ­ Mainly in aleurone layer Milling of Wheat: ­ Conversion of wheat grain into white flours (all­purpose, cake and pastry, bread  and flour, etc) ­ Involves 2 main steps: 1) Seperating the bran and germ from the endosperm 2) Reducing size of the endosperm into flour size particles  White Flours: ­ Made from endosperm only ­ Bran and germ are removed from the wheat kernel  ­ Ex: all purpose flour: 10.5% o Cake and pastry flour: 9.7% (delicate products)  o Bread flour: 11.8% (higher protein content)  Whole Wheat Flour: ­ Composed of the bran, germ and endosperm ground together into flour ­ 13% protein Whole Wheat Flour: bran, germ and endosperm Non­enriched: all purpose flour (endosperm only) Proteins  18gWW 14gNE (grams/250mL) Iron 3.8mgWW 3.4mgNE (mg/250mL) Thiamin 0.7mgWW 0.5mgNE (mg/250mL) ­ White flours (all­purpose and cake and pasty) are enriched with iron and B­ vitamins to the levels found in whole wheat flour. Flour Improvers: Freshly milled Flour: ­ Is creamy white colour (xanthophyll)  ­ Gives poor quality baked products Storing for several weeks (expensive process) ­ Whitens flour ­ Improves baking quality  ­ OR ­ Add flour improvers: o Azodicarbonamide (ADA) o Potassium bromate o Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)  Classifications of Wheat 1) Quality (= protein content)  a. Hard Wheat:  i. High protein content (what Canadians grow mainly)  ii. The harder it is to bite into, the more protein iii. Used for bread­making b. Soft Wheat: i. Lower protein content ii. Western Europe iii. Used for muffins 2) Habit (= when planted) a. Winter Wheat:  i. Planted in late fall ii. Harvested mid­summer b. Spring Wheat i. Planted early spring ii. Harvested late summer or early falls 3) Colour:  a. White wheat­ pale yellow b. Red wheat­ dark red­brown ­ HARD, RED, SPRING WHEAT is the main type grown in western Canada  (mainly Alberta and Saskatchewan)  Canadian Wheat 1) Hard, Red, Spring Wheat a. 95% of Canadian crop b. 14% protein c. Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta 2) Hard Winter Wheat a. 12.2% protein  b. Small amount in Southern Alberta 3) Soft Winter Wheat a. 9.2 to 10.3% protein b. Western Ontario Durum Wheat:  ­ High protein content of 12.7% ­ Used for pasta products ­ Yellow in colour ­ Grown in southern Manitoba and Saskatchewan  Gluten:  ­ Complex protein created from proteins found in wheat, rye and oat flours  ­ Gluten itself is NOT actually present in these flours  ­ 2 proteins gliadin (plasticity­ easily molded) and glutenin (elasticity)  are present  and they form gluten  ­ Glutens form when gliadin and glutenin in flour are: o Hydrated (H2O added) AND  o Manipulated (mixing and kneading)   Gives structure to baked products (ex: muffins, tea biscuits, cakes)  Complex proteins that denatures and coagulates during baking  Excess gluten development makes baked products tough • Therefore must control/limit gluten development, but NOT  prevent it.  Gives visco­elastic properties to batters and dough allowing: • Them to hold small air cells • A dough to be kneaded and rolled  • Batters and dough to expand Complex protein which develops in a: 1) Batter= uncooked flour mixture that is thick but can be poured a. Ex: muffin or cake batters 2) Dough= uncooked flour mixture that can be shaped a. Tea biscuits, pastry or bread dough Structure of baked products (muffins, tea biscuits, cakes, etc) is due to: 1) Starch in flour: a. Gelatinization during baking  b. Retrogradation during cooling 2) Gliadin and gluten proteins in flour a. Hydration + manipulation allows gluten to develop b. Gluten denatures and coagulates during baking c. Important to have enough gluten for structure but NO excess gluten i. Excess gluten= TOUGH product Teas Biscuit Flake Formation:  ­ Should have many layers called “flakes” ­ Formation of flakes is a multi­stage process ­ Some steps occur during mixing and remainder during baking ­ 7 steps are necessary for flakes to form ­ To determine if a tea biscuit has flakes you must break it along the horizontal axis Steps in Flake Formation:  1) During mixing tea biscuit dough: a. Cut solid fat (shortening, butter or margarine) into flour mixture until fat is  in “discrete pieces” (size of small green peas) 2) Add milk­ hydrates gliadin and glutenin proteins in flour ­> dough forms 3) Kneading the tea biscuit dough to develop gluten 4) Roll dough to: a. Flatten pieces of fat b. Orient gluten strands in same direction  5) During baking (220 degrees) a. Pieces of fat melt ­ > leaves spaces between gluten strands and separates  gluten strands 6) Leaving gases (CO2 and steam) collect in the spaces and expand them ­> gluten  strands pushed apart 7) Gluten denatures and coagulates ­> creates permanent layers with spaces in  between = FLAKES Factors Affecting Gluten Development 1) Type of Flour: a. All Purpose:  i. A combination of hard and soft wheat ii. 10.5% protein (gliadin and glutenin)  iii. Used for all baked products b. Cake and Pastry: i. Made from soft wheat ii. 9.7% protein iii. Used for cakes, muffins, pastry’s (not bread)  c. Whole Wheat: i. Made from entire wheat kernel (bran, germ, and endosperm) ii. 13.3% protein iii. Used in all 
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1,2 and half of page 3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit