Canada (492,493)
MATH 2270 (28)

Assignment 3.pdf

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
MATH 2270
Matthew Demers

1 Assignment #3 Math*2270, Fall 2012 Due Wednesday, October 17 in class Instructions: ▯ Ensure that your name and ID Number are clearly printed on the front page. ▯ You are encouraged to work with your friends to complete the assignment, but please write up your ▯nal solutions on your own. ▯ Submit your assignment in class on or before the due date. ▯ This assignment carries a weight of 4% of your ▯nal grade. Late submissions will be given a zero. 1. Find the general solution for the following Bernoulli equation: x + tan(t)x = x sec (t) 2. Reduced visibility caused by particulate matter in the atmosphere is a problem, commonly referred to as haze. Diminishing visibility with distance can be quanti▯ed by a constant b, called the extinction coe▯cient, that satis▯es the equation dI ▯ = bI: dx The dependent variable I represents light intensity, as a function of independent variable x, representing distance from the light source. A beacon is lit at night in a ▯eld, measured to have a luminous intensity of 1500 candela as measured at the source (i.e. from a distance of zero). From a distance of 400 m, the intensity is measured to be 220 candela. a) Determine the value of the extinction coe▯cient b for the air in this ▯eld. 2 b) The average human can no longer detect light from a source when the intensity of the light drops to 2% of the intensity as measured at the source. If the average person were to walk away from the beacon, at what distance will they ▯rst be unable to see the light that the beacon emits? Give your answer to the nearest metre. 3. A simple hot water tank can be modeled by the following ▯rst-order di▯erential equation: cdT + 1(T(t) ▯ T ) = Q(t); dt R 0 where the dependen
More Less

Related notes for MATH 2270

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.