MBG 1000 Lecture Notes - Dna Microarray, Punnett Square, Angiogenesis
SchoolUniversity of Guelph
DepartmentMolecular Biology and Genetics
Course CodeMBG 1000
This preview shows pages 1-2. to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Genetics – March 21st, 2012
1. What part of a blastocyst develops into an embryo?
a) inner cell mass d) blastomere
b) trophoblast layer e) polar body
2. 5’ ATGGCAT ‘3 is the sequence of one strand of a DNA molecule; what is the sequence of the complementary
a) 3’ TACCGTA 5’
- Practise Exam Questions in Workbook
Monitoring Gene Function
How do you know when insertion of a gene corrects a problem?
Gene Expression Profiling
o Indicates genes transcribed
o Uses microarrays (gene chips)
o mRNAs are collected and cDNAs created
o cDNAs bind to grid
o fluorescent signals display presence, relative amounts
o usually compare control and experimental conditions
RT enzyme makes DNA from RNA labelled RED labelled GREEN
Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.
In this step use heat to separate cDNA strands
- Computer scans colour and displays information, computer program can then analyze data and see how strongly
the gene is expressed
- Red – injury group
- Green – signal of sample a is stronger than sample b
- Yellow- sample a and sample b were present at = levels
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version