Class Notes (835,324)
Canada (509,101)
Nutrition (899)
NUTR 1010 (443)
Lecture

Intro to Bones.docx

5 Pages
79 Views
Unlock Document

Department
Nutrition
Course
NUTR 1010
Professor
Anneke Olthof
Semester
Winter

Description
Intro to Bones  Bones are dynamic, living organs!  Have many important roles in the body  Bone diseases can be life-threatening and debilitating Functions of Bones  Structural support  Protection of vital organs  Attachment point -for muscles and ligaments  Nutrient reservoir -calcium, phosphorus  Production of blood cells - in the bone marrow What are bones made of?  Appx 70% mineral -Hydroxyapatite - calcium and phosphorus crystals -provides strength and rigidity  The other 30% …. -collagen matrix (proteins) - provides flexibility and durability -blood vessels, nerves, cartilage connective tissue Nutrient involved in Bone Health  Major roles: - Calcium - Vitamin D - Phosphorus  Minor roles: - Vitamin K - Vitamin A - Protein - Fluoride - Magnesium Processes of Bone Development  Bone Growth -begins in the womb  Bone modeling -longitudinal growth -steady change in size and shape of bones - stops after puberty  Bone remodeling (aka bone turnover) - minimal changes in size and shape - continues throughout lifetime -involves bone resorption and bone formation Balance of Bone Remodeling  Bone Resorption - osteoclast break down bone - secrete enzymes to digest bone mineral - minerals are released to the bloodstream  Bone Formation - Osteoblasts build new bone -build collagen matrix -hydroxyapatite mineralizes around collagen Skeletal Maturity vs. Peak Bone Mass  Skeletal Maturity - bones reach final size (length) and shape - End of puberty  Peak Bone Mass - bones reach final diameter and density - influenced by diet and exercise -appx 30 years of age? Bone Mineral Density (g/cm2)  Bone mineral content (in grams) measured in a certain Area (cm2) of bone  Represents bone strength and fracture risk  Less bone mineral = more fracture risk  Decreases with age - After bone mass is achieved  Usually measured using DXA  Dual energy x-ray absorptiometry  Measures bone mineral density  Used to: - monitor change in bone density -diagnose osteoporosis (chart on course link) T-Score  compares your bone density to average peak bone density of a 30 yr. old healthy adult low bone mass ( less than minus one to minus 2.5)  osteopenia (reversible) Osteoporosis  A skeletal disease characterized by: - low bone density -increase bone fragility - increase fracture risk  Literally means “porous bones”  Asymptomatic until fracture occurs  Most prevalent bone disease in North America Age Influences Osteoporosis Risk  Risk increases with older age - bone density decreases gradually with age - bone layers rebuild on surface - minerals released from inner bone matrix - bone become wider and less dense  Longer life expectancies = increase osteoporosis Gender Influences on Osteoporosis Risk  Women 3 x higher risk than men - lower peak bone mass - longer life expectancy -Estrogen not produced post-menopause  Estrogen decreases bone resorption and increases bone formation  Without estrogen bone remodeling balance is uneven, start to decrease our bone density (graph on course link) Non-modifiable Risk Factors for Osteoporosis  Age  Gender - female higher risk  Ethnicity – Asian and Caucasian populations are higher
More Less

Related notes for NUTR 1010

Log In


OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Sign up

Join to view


OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.


Submit