NUTR 1010 Lecture Notes - Esophagus, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, Gastric Acid

43 views3 pages

Document Summary

Hunger: physiological need for food (your body needs it) Appetite: psychological want for food (your brain wants it); ex. That cake looks good, i want it; everyone was having cake; i was sad so i ate cake. Nerve signals: your stomach and intestines send nerve signals to the hypothalamus of the brain; we"re empty,eat . Blood sugar levels drop: insulin and glucagon levels in the blood change (these are hormones); this is a signal for your hypothalamus; time to eat ; there are lots of other hormones that send messages. Biological catalysts; facilitate chemical reactions in living things. You know it is an enzyme when it has a suffix of ase. Cephalic phase: makes you salivate; gets your digestive track starting. Mechanical digestion: your teeth break up the food. Chemical digestion: enzymes in your saliva start breaking up the food; salivary amylase breaks up starch, lingual lipase breaks up fat. Making a bolus: a moist ball of food.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers