Nutrition (887)
NUTR 1010 (437)

Nutrition 1010 - Week 1-9.docx

124 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
NUTR 1010
Andrea Buchholz

NUTR1010 What is NutritionThe science that studies how food nourishes our bodies and influences our healthWhy is nutrition importantOne of the several factors contributing to health A nutritious diet can prevent some diseases and reduce risk for others A poor diet can heighten risk for type two diabetes Who does nutrition affectEVERYONE From womb to tomb All stages of health and sicknessEvery country around the worldHow can I figure out my nutrient needsUse the dietary reference intakes DRI Nutrition AdviceWhom can you trustTrustworthy experts are educated credentialed eg RD Registered Dietician Professional organizations Canadian Nutrition SocietyGovernment sourcesWhy do we eat the foods we eatCultureReligionValuesbeliefsSocialConvenience Advertising Availability EconomyEmotional comfort Habit Personal preference Positive associations Weightbody image Nutritional valueAppetite Hunger Appetite Psychological desire to eat specific foodsPleasant sensation associated with food Influenced byPsychological factors Brain compoundsInborn appetites Some health conditionsMedicationsdrugs Hunger Physiological sensation in response to a need for foodUnpleasantnegative sensation Influenced byBrain hypothalamus Blood glucose levels
More Less

Related notes for NUTR 1010

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.