Nutrition
Course
NUTR 3070
Professor
John Dwyer
Semester
Winter

Description
SELF -D ETERMINATION T HEORY (Deci & Ryan, 2002) - THEORY OF MOTIVATION  Not the environment, very individual and personal  Macro-level theory, “large level” - 2 MAIN MIN-THEORIES  Make up larger theory o Organismic integration theory o Cognitive evaluation theory  Cognitions, thoughts, feelings; motivations. O RGANISMIC NTEGRATION T HEORY - 6 types of motivation - Autonomous versus controlled behaviours o Autonomous; self-control over your behaviour o Controlled; your actions are dependent on other peoples opinions 1. E XTERNAL REGULATION : (externally regulated behaviour) o Least self-determined behaviour, much more controlled. o To get external reward  I.e. with children, to please parents by participating in sports that parents are excited about; praise, attention, feedback o Satisfy a demand  Doing it for external forces/reasons  I.e. Your physiotherapist making you do exercises to get your knee/injury back in shape. Doing it to comply. 2. I NTROJECTED REGULATION : o Controlled motivation  Doing it for external reasons, but you are taking those pressures and imposing them onto yourself (internalizing them). May feel guilt if you do not. o Sense of guilt or obligation  I.e. taking your pet for a walk, taking social pressure/obligation 3. I DENTIFIED REGULATION: o More autonomous behaviour o Achieving personally valued outcomes  Some external, but you are making a little more choice.  Things that you value; lose weight, improve appearance 4. I NTEGRATED REGULATION : o Moving into autonomous motivation o Most self-determined extrinsic motivation o Doing behaviours because of consistency
More Less

Related notes for NUTR 3070

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit