John Locke 1632-1704
• Second Treatise of Government, 1689
• Important is establishing liberal thought ... classic liberal.
The Patriarchal Power of Kings
• Robert Filmer, Patriarcha 1680 - wrote book in defence of patriarchal power.
• Kings inherit the authority God granted to Adam at Creation, Adam is the
"father figure" and has power and authority. When he dies, others take
over and inherit that power.
• Defends the right of kings to exercise absolute authority over their subjects.
God's will on earth. By making laws you are doing God's will.
• Monarchs didn't see themselves as serving the people, but rather serving
• **GET QUOTES FROM POWER POINT**
Relationship of Government to Governed
• Patriarch - "father"
• An authority, tell you what you can and cannot do.
• In a position where they need help, cant make decision. Not a self-directing
• A father over his children?
• A lord over his slave?