PHIL 1050 (41)
Lecture 6

Lecture 6- Descartes, perception and truth.docx

4 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
PHIL 1050
Patricia Sheridan

Lecture 6- Descartes, perception and truth Rationalist or empiricist? ✤  rationalism and empiricism deal with the role of sense experience in getting information about the world.! ✤  Rationalism! ✤  Descartes’ position! ✤  Our fundamental ideas about the essential truths of reality are in the mind, and not gotten from sensation! ✤  Senses can give us no reliable information! ✤  Empiricism! ✤  Locke’s position! ✤  sense experience is the source of all our ideas! ✤  We rely on the senses, therefore! ✤  Essences will always elude us! Ideas and reality ✤  Do the ideas in our minds represent anything about reality?! ✤Or are we stuck in a world of ideas that reveal nothing about the world outside the mind?! ✤  Descartes trying to answer this! ✤  Spoiler: our purely intellectual ideas represent reality! Can I know anything? ✤  I am, I exist! ✤  “necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived by my mind.” (147)! ✤  What is this ‘I’?! ✤  “I am not admitting anything except what is necessarily true.” (148)! ✤  Necessary truth will point to essences! ✤  what does he know with certainty?! Wax and knowledge ✤  What does the example of the wax tell us about the nature of body?! ✤  What do the sensory features of the wax tell us?! ✤  How do we come to discover true and permanent facts about the nature of that substance?! ✤  We do not understand ourselves and the world based on sensation, but “purely mental scrutiny” (149)! ✤  All of our ideas and the propositions based on them are mental! ✤  our belief in sensory information, however, is founded on illusion rather than certainty! ✤  e.g. the wax is white! Imagination and Intellect ✤  Two ways to determine what he is:! ✤  Imagination! -  “imagining is simply contemplating the shape or image of a corporeal thing.” (148)! -  imagination not a route to knowledge about self (or anything else for that matter)! ✤  Intellect! -insight without sensation! -He is a ‘thinking thing’ or thinking substance! -operations of the mind--doubting, understanding, willing, imagining! -all kinds, or modes,
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 1050

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.