Lecture 5- Rene Descartes.docx

3 Pages

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHIL 1050
Professor
Patricia Sheridan

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Description
Lecture 5- Rene Descartes (1596-1650) • Method of Doubt • Attacking the Foundations • The cogito and the wax example +The demolition • “I will devote myself sincerely and without reservation to the general demolition of my opinions.” (144) • Why is Descartes taking this on? • Epistemological question -Is there anything we can know with certainty? • Why worry about this? • Justification: We believe a lot of things without considering our reasons for doing so. • Truth: We like to believe the things we take to be true really are true in some meaning sense • What does this mean, exactly? +What kinds of things do we believe to be true? -It is raining today -I have a cold -The earth is round -Apes are primates -A right angle is 90° -2 + 2 =4 • i.e. , we believe these to be true based either on: -sensation -reason -If either or both to be subject to doubt, anything founded upon them will be subject to doubt +Sensation: Begins with Uncontroversial sensory deceptions—i.e. distant sensory perceptions can be mistaken • What we perceive and what’s real can come apart in these cases +Immediate sensation -This is harder to doubt “that I am here, sitting...holding this piece of paper in my hands, and so on.” (384) -it would be crazy to doubt this -My perceptions are so convincing, I am compelled to believe them -Can we doubt this? +The dream argument • “there are never any sure signs by means of which being awake can be distinguished from being asleep.” (385) • My perceptions and reality have come apart again • What seems real is potentially all in my mind -I c
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit