Feb 9 2011 Lecture Note

1 Page

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHIL 1050
Professor
Mark Mc Cullagh

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full page of the document.
February 9th Lecture
Pg. 115-125
Chapter 5: Frege’s New Logical World
- Both Aristotle & Descartes held that we know what is true, and hoow do we know the truths of geometry and
arithmetic and physics, because certain fundamental principle are known through institution & other truths are
validly deduced from these fundamental principles
- New science brought on in 17th century led to many philosophical problems
Why are the experimental & observational methods of modern science reliable?
If science depends on inferences made from observation & experiment what is the basis for our knowledge
of mathematics & for the special certainty that propositions in geometry & arithmetic seem to have?
- in 18th century, the new sciences of physics & chemistry seemed different from geometry & arithmetic
Unlike the new sciences, geometry & arithmetic did seem to depend on self-evident principles
- Descartes & Leibniz thought of physical objects as bundles of properties attached to a substance
- Descartes thought of mental objects as bundles of properties attached to a mental substance
Ideas are collection of properties attached to a mental substance… so an idea may be simple or complex
- Hume (18th century Scottish philosopher) used the IDEA
Thought some propositions are about matters of fact (eg. sky is blue,)
- Matters of fact can be discovered only from experience
- Other propositions are about (or true b/c of) relations among ideas
Hume’s proposal: True propositions that are about the relations among ideas can be known a priori, that is, in a
way not founded on any experience, essentially by a combination of what Descartes would have called
“natural light” and the method of analysis & synthesis. Propositions that aren’t about relations among our
ideas but instead are about the external world cant be known in this way
It doesn’t seem that mathematical truths can be obtained as relations among ideas
- Immanuel Kant (19th century philosopher) distinguished between propositions (or judgments as he would
have said) that are analytic & those that are synthetic”
in analytic judgments, but not in synthetic judgments the concept of the predicate contains the concept of
the subject
- Kant distinguished between priori & posteriori judgments
Priori judgements can be known by reason alone
A posteriori judgements cannot be known by reason alone but require the evidence provided by experience
- Kant suggests the world we experience and come to know is partly a world of our own creation
Frege, Logicism & Logic
- Freges alternative to Kant was: arithmetic & geometry are nothing but logic, & logic is certain & can be
known by reason alone

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
thFebruary 9 LecturePg 115125Chapter 5 Freges New Logical World Both AristotleDescartes held that we know what is true and hoow do we know the truths of geometry and arithmetic and physics because certain fundamental principle are known through institutionother truths are validly deduced from these fundamental principlesth New science brought on in 17 century led to many philosophical problems Why are the experimentalobservational methods of modern science reliable If science depends on inferences made from observationexperiment what is the basis for our knowledge of mathematicsfor the special certainty that propositions in geometryarithmetic seem to haveth in 18 century the new sciences of physicschemistry seemed different from geometryarithmeticUnlike the new sciences geometryarithmetic did seem to depend on selfevident principles DescartesLeibniz thought of physical objects as bundles of properties attached to a substance Descartes thought of mental objects as bundles of properties attached to a mental substance Ideas are collection of properties attached to a mental substance so an idea may be simple or complexth Hume18 century Scottish philosopher used the IDEAThought some propositions are about matters of facteg sky is blue
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit