Ian Spears (41)

Week 9 Politics in Africa.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
Political Science
POLS 3000
Ian Spears

Week 9 Politics in Africa Uganda: The Bio  It has a population of about 35 million ppl  It achieved its independence in 1962  In the first two decades of independence it was ruled by two principal leaders, Milton Obote and Idi Amin  Since 1986, Uganda has been ruled by Yoweri Museveni Nelson Kasfir on democracy in Uganda  “It would be wrong to conclude…that Uganda is merely a dictatorship with an attractive but misleading façade. In fact, the country is much more democratic today than it was before the National resistance movement took power” be said to be more democratic than Uganda, though the former has 27 parties and the latter has none  Few in either country would dispute president museveni’s contentions of superiority of no party democracy…indeed, most would probably agree that Kenya can handle Uganda’s Conception of Democracy 1. Popular democracy 2. Parliamentary democracy 3. A decent standard of living Can African states as they are currently constructed ever be truly democratic? Apartheid and the legacy of white rule  Africaner’s (white) see themselves as hard front end men and women who have carved out an existence in an extremely hostile land that not only the people but also the land  Saw themselves as an oppressed people  Were religious ppl  Equated their own existence with the biblical Isrealites  Mandaite from god to treat mostly blacks as slaves  Became most powerful political force in south Africa until Nelson’s release Dutch seafarer Jan van Riebeeck arrives at Table Mountain in 1652  Most of the people never returned to Europe  Thought less of themselves as Europeans LOOKS FOR LAWS ENACTED ON COURSE LINK Rivonia trail April 20 1964  “During my life time I have dedicated myself to this struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination, and I have found against black domination. I have cherishe
More Less

Related notes for POLS 3000

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.