POLS 3180 (68)

POLS 3180 October 30 2013 Research Methods I.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
Political Science
POLS 3180
Edward Koning

POLS 3180 October 30 2013 POLS 3180 October 30, 2013, Research Methods I Steps in a research project - Formulation of research question - Theorization and formulation of hypotheses - Conceptualization and operationalization - Choice of research design - Case selection - Data collection - Data analysis Methods of Data Collection - Field research - Qualitative interviews o Focus groups - Unobtrusive research o Historical analysis o Content analysis Field research: Verities of Field Research Difficulty is that term is used in varied ways - Some employ a broad definition of it o “We do field research whenever we observe or participate in social behavior and try to understand it” (FSR p. 299).  Research is physically present in social setting of study and employs variety of observational techniques  Common in political science  Need to spend some time in country of research to make research more credible o Can be extremely positivist, Interpretivist,  Philosophical orientation can be positivist or interpretivist  Goa of study can be explanation, exploration, or description - Narrow definition: ethnography: ethnos (nations, groups of people), graphine (writing)  Understanding a culture from the nativ
More Less

Related notes for POLS 3180

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.