Political Science
Course
POLS 4050
Professor
Jordi Diez
Semester
Winter

Description
Megan Morrow Week 12 (Mar 30) Judicial Politics in Europe Professor Jordi Diez March 30, 2017 Vanberg, G. 2000. “Establishing Judicial Independence in West Germany” Comparative Politics 333-53. - Overall, I thought this article was very well researched. I think Vanberg definitely proved the U.S example is very generalizable, in that Madison’s arguments hold weight because they really can be applied globally. I think Vanberg did a good job proving how his arguments apply in Germany but had this article been written later it would have benefited by comparing a country such as Hungary because the power of the mass public and media is obviously why Orban is so concerned with censoring it. I think the questions raised in Vanberg’s conclusion would be very interesting applied in Hungary. - When comparing this article to Sweet’s, Vanberg clearly demonstrated the role of the media plays a pivotal role in constitutional changes due to the reaction of the mass public. I think this seriously weakens Sweet’s article because she fails to clarify the different spheres of law and politics in the way Vanberg illustrates. I think Vanberg proved law and politics and intertwined because the German government at the time was convinced and too intimidated by the role of the media to attack the FCC. I think Vanberg clearly demonstrated the government weighed the prod and cons and took public support into serious consideration before taking such bold political moves. Stone Sweet, A. 2007. “The Politics of Constitutional Review in France and Europe” International Journal of Constitutional Law 5(1): 69-92. - I did not really like this article because I think the research question is impossible to answer. First of all, if we’re saying there are no definitive answers in political science then there is never going to be a definitive, globally applicable answer to the question is judicial review law or politics? I think the conclusion was written poorly because Sweet seems to contradict herself. Sweet claims she cannot distinguish the difference between law and politics when it comes to constitutional adjudication. I don’t think they are distinguishable either, I think law and politics are very intertwined especially when it comes to constitutional adjudication. I agree with Sweet’s critiques in that she does not think judge’s opinions are significant. Sweet seems to ignore the political factors that can completely re-shape the constitution. In the case of Hungary, political factors were extremely relevant. Orban would have never been elected with a 68% of the voting ma
More Less

Related notes for POLS 4050

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit