Violence against women/sexual assaults
What is.are the main premise(s) of the articles?
o Dealt with social rankings
• Political and legal institutions
• The state tries to solve womens problems and creates them
• The institutions that try to deal with these problems are not in the hands they
• Issue of uniformity, lack of it in provinces and how they approach in the first two
o Heterogenious laws in the last two articles
• The use of nongovernement institutions to address these issues (saw this in the
How do they tie together?
• They are all talking violence against a certain group in society
• All tree had relation to patriarchy and how it does not help the women
• Violence always occurs as to a outsiders perception
• Lack of resources
What are some criticisms?
• Talking aboriginal women healing vs. punitive issue
o Shows problem but does no clarify what it means
• 1 article
o Jane doe vs. Bonny(search)
Makes bonny helpless because she could not do much
Jane Doe was seen as strong
Elizabeth A. Sheehy
• Thoughts on article? Thoughts on different outcome?
o Federalist system makes it hard for uninformative
o Inconsistency among provinces?
• What does this show us about the role of police/judge/feminist organizations?
• What is the role of the state in regards to protection