POLS 3300 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Institute For Operations Research And The Management Sciences, Absolute Immunity, Fundamental Justice

58 views3 pages

Document Summary

The most important responsibility of the crown for the purpose of our course is the obligation to conduct all criminal proceedings in ontario. While the crown has the responsibility to prosecute, the. Cro(cid:449)(cid:374) does (cid:374)ot ha(cid:448)e the respo(cid:374)si(cid:271)ility of o(cid:271)tai(cid:374)i(cid:374)g a (cid:272)o(cid:374)(cid:448)i(cid:272)tio(cid:374). I(cid:374)stead, the cro(cid:449)(cid:374)"s pri(cid:373)ary goal is to ensure justice is done through a fair trial. Thus, crowns should not have any notion of winning or losing in court. The crown cannot do anything to prevent the accused from being represented by counsel or communicating with their counsel. Similarly, the crown must present all credible evidence before the court, that is relevant to the crime, regardless if it might undermine its prosecution. Because of this responsibility, one of the most important functions of the crown is to provide disclosure to the defence in a timely manner. This disclosure must include all relevant facts, regardless if they show guilt or innocence.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers