Fall 2016

Department
Population Medicine
Course Code
POPM 4230
Professor
Terri O' Sullivan
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
CANADIAN CHICKEN INDUSTRY ~ quite a bit larger
- 2,669 broiler chicken farmers in 10 provinces
- annual production of 1.100 billion kg eviscerated weight
- industry is worth - $2.4 billion in farm cash receipts AND creates about 78,200 jobs
FCR Farm Cash Receipts = cash income received from sale of agricultural commodities as well as direct
program payments made to support agricultural sector
BROILER FLOCKS Preparing the Barn for the Chicks (1)
Canada mandates that you must …
- remove manure and used litter after every flock of birds
- dry clean (blow down dust)
- wet clean using water and detergent to remove organic material and decrease pathogen load
~ doesn’t eliminate ALL pathogens
- disinfect barn surfaces and equipment to kill remaining pathogens (~ disinfect once a year)
- disinfect water lines (~ should be done btw flocks)
BROILER FLOCKS Preparing the Barn for the Chicks (2)
- add clean bedding: wood (~pine) shavings or straw (~help accumulate all the moisture made by birds)
- lowe the feed and water lines
- pre-heat the barn to 32-33 C ~ critical, 1st week of life they cant thermoregulate
- place chick paper, and supplemental feeders and waterers
- turn on heat lamps
BROILER FLOCKS Arrival of the Chicks (1) Day old chicks arrive at the commercial farm from the
hatchery in temperature-controlled trucks
To ensure chicks find feed and water:
- place chicks on the floor in strategic locations
- provide 23 hours of light for the first 1-3 days (~ ensures chicks can familiarize w. their environment)
Broiler Flocks GROWTH
~ remainder of the period, between rooting and the time being shipped to slaughter
~ spend 21 days in egg, then 5-wks in barn then that’s the end
~ their growth w. in the bar for broilers is incredible due to genetics of fast growth and nutrition
~ today they are reaching target weights w. in 31 days
~ if chicks don’t find water palatable won’t drink, which means they won’t eat, significant affects on them
~cull unhealthy, if high mortality call a vet
~ litter ties to ventilation, too dry =affects resp etc, if too moist can get footpad dermatitis and lameness
~ light, make sure they find everything they need in first couple of days, decrease competition for
feeder(s)
Broiler Production Chain Major Markets
- Broilers are marketed at ~28-50 days of age (~avg 35-36 days of age)
- Cornish game hen - < 1.6 kg
- Fryer often pullets, 1.6-. kg KFC market
- Broiler 1.77-.kg Swiss Chalet market ~ want uniform product to sell to consumers
- Roaster - >3 kg
LAYER PRODUCTION CHAIN
CANADIAN EGG INDUSTRY
- number of laying hens = ~20 million
Requirements for optimal growth and quality
Health
Feed
Air (ventilation)
Water supply
Temperature and
Humidity
Stocking density
Litter
Light
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
CANADIAN CHICKEN INDUSTRY ~ quite a bit larger - annual production of 1.100 billion kg eviscerated weight - industry is worth - $2.4 billion in farm cash receipts AND creates about 78,200 jobs FCR – Farm Cash Receipts = cash income received from sale of agricultural commodities as well as direct program payments made to support agricultural sector BROILER FLOCKS – Preparing the Barn for the Chicks (1) Canada mandates that you must … - dry clean (blow down dust)ter after every flock of birds - we~ doesn’t eliminate ALL pathogens to remove organic material and decrease pathogen load - disinfect barn surfaces and equipment to kill remaining pathogens (~ disinfect once a year) - disinfect water lines (~ should be done btw flocks) BROILER FLOCKS – Preparing the Barn for the Chicks (2) - lowe the feed and water linese) shavings or straw (~help accumulate all the moisture made by birds) - pre-heat the barn to 32-33 C ~ critical, 1 week of life they cant thermoregulate - turn on heat lamps and supplemental feeders and waterers BROILER FLOCKS – Arrival of the Chicks (1)  Day old chicks arrive at the commercial farm from the hatchery in temperature-controlled truckinrmrhqyks–rth)1 - place chicks on the floor in strategic locations - provide 23 hours of light for the first 1-3 days (~ ensures chicks can familiarize w. their environment) Broiler Flocks – GROWTH prd ~ remainder of the period, between rooting and the time being shipped to slaughter ~ their growth w. in the bar for broilers is incredible due to genetics of fast growth and nutrition ~ today they are reaching target weightedw. in epydays ~cull unhealthy, if high mortality call a vetdrink, which 32ans they won’t eat, significant affects on them ~ light, make sure they find everything they need in first couple of days, decrease competition ford lameness feeder(s) Broiler Production Chain – Major Marketst r - Broilers are marketed at ~28-50 days of age (~avg 35-36 days of age) - Fryer – often pullets, 1.6-1.77 kg “KFC market” - Broiler – 1.77-2.45kg “Swiss Chalet market” ~ want uniform product to sell to consumers 3 - Roaster - >3 kg LAYER PRODUCTION CHAIN CANADIAN EGG INDUSTRY - number of laying hens = ~20 million - number of egg farmers = 1,021 - average farm size – 20,811 laying hens per flock - number of eggs produced annually – over 600 million dozen - total farm cash receipts - $909 million (~close to 1 billion dollar industry) - 17,099 jobs LAYER BREEDER FLOCKS - egg industry also has breeder flocks - hen and roosters are housed together - mating is natural - hatching eggs are sent to the hatchery LAYER HATCHERY At
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit