Social Psychology Part 2
November 15, 2012
How do we make sense of the subjective world?
- Muzafer sheriff (1906-88)
- Sherif (1935) places participants in an ambiguous situation
- Used auto-kinetic effect
What if it is not subjective?
- Asch in 1951 asked participants to assess line length
- Placed participants in group of confederates
- Participants were usually 1 or 2 away from end
- 75% went with norms
good social skills
awareness of social cues/ convention
most acknowledge choice was wrong
1. Why do we conform?
- to get information
- to avoid social exlusion
2. What is compliance?
- subtly getting someone to act a certain way