Psychology
Course
PSYC 1000
Professor
Anneke Olthof
Semester
Fall

Description
Perception in Action The Active Process of Perception • Two different types of processing to turn sensory information into perceptual ➡ Top-down Processing •Using models, ideas, and expectations to interpret sensory information •Is that something I've seen before? •Examples: Loch Ness monster or a tree branch ➡ Bottom-up Processing •Taking sensory information and then assembling and integrating i •What am I seeing? Perceptual Organization • Figure-ground Simplest form of organization ➡ ➡ We pick out objects and figures standing against a background ➡ Figure-ground distinction can be ambiguous ➡ Ambiguity between figure and ground is the idea behind camouflage • Gestalt Principles ➡ Similarity: Similar items belong together ➡ Proximity: Elements that are close together belong together Closure: Close open edges; perceives boundaries ➡ ➡ Continuity: Elements linked to form continuous line • Perceptual Constancies ➡ Refers to our ability to see objects as appearing the same even under different lighting conditions, at different distances and angles ➡ This is a top-down process • C
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 1000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit