Sensation and Perception (part 1)
Midterm:All material covered in class and the text book up to and including Feb 10 th
You must have HB pencils, eraser and Student ID Card
Sensation: It is basically something that’s coming to you.
e.g.: waves coming towards your eyes, sounds to your ears, feel of touch etc.
Perception: The brain makes sense out of the input from sensory organs
• Top-down processing: Q) Is that something you have seen before?A) Yes
• We have predetermined sense of elements in our brain
Reception: Information is coming in
Transduction: Information should be converted
Transmission: Transforming the information
• Our receptors are not very good. We physically see very little going on this world. There
are lot of things going on.
• Absolute threshold is the minimum level of stimulus intensity needed to detect a stimulus
half the time.
• Signal detection theory basically argues the ability to detect the stimuli when it is
strongly influenced by other stimuli
• The application of sensation and perception takes a completely different meaning
• Air traffic controller was the most difficult job in the world in