Psychology
Course
PSYC 1010
Professor
Harvey Marmurek
Semester
Winter

Description
Chapter 1 Two Branches of Statistics Descriptive statistics - Organize, summarize, and communicate numerical information Inferential statistics - Use samples to draw conclusions about a population Population – complete set of the things in which we are interested (could be any size) Sample – set of observations drawn from the particular sample (portion of the sample) i.e. population of Ontario or Sample from the world Variables – take on range of values i.e. reaction time in the Stroop Task – the time to say the colours compared to the time to say the word Types of Variables Discrete – variables that can only take on specific values i.e. whole numbers or how many letter in your name? Continuous – can take on full range of values i.e. how tall are you? Nominal – category or name i.e. name of cookies (discrete) Ordinal – ranking of data i.e. ranking of favorite cookies (discrete) Interval – used with numbers that are equally spaced i.e. temperature of cookies (can be discrete or continuous) Ratio – like interval, but has a meaningful 0 point i.e. how many cookies are left? (seldomly discrete and almost always continues) Independent – manipulate or categorize Dependent – measure; depends on the independent variable Confounding – try to control or randomize Selecting and Assessing Variables Operational definition – exactly what are you studying Reliability – consistency of the measure Validity – extent the test measures what it is supposed to measure Types of Research Designs Experiments – participants are randomly assigned to a condition or level of one or more independent variables -able to make causal statements and control the confounding variables -importance of randomization One Goal, Two Strategies Between-group designs – different people complete the tasks, and comparisons are made between groups Within-group designs – the same participants do things more than once, and comparisons are made over time Chapter 2 Distributions – four different ways to visually describe just one variable -frequency table -grouped frequency table -frequency histograms -frequency polygen Shapes of Distributions: Specific frequency distribution -bell shaped -symmetrical -unimodal Skewed Distributions – when our data are not symmetrical -positive: tail to the right, may represent floor effects -negative: tail to the left, may represent ceiling effects Chapter 3 Uses of Graphs Positive and negative uses – can accurately and briefly present info and can reveal/conceal complicated data Techniques for Misleading the false face validity lie – method seems to represent what it says, but does not actually i.e. using yelling as a measure of aggression the biased scale lie – scaling to knew the results i.e. using 3 positive words out of 5 options the sneaky sample lie – when participants are preselected to provide the desired data the extrapolation lie – assumes knowledge outside of the study the inaccurate values lie – using scaling to distort portions of the data the outright lie – making up data Common types of Graphs scatterplots -graphs that depict the relation between two scale variables -observing every data point -linear relationships -nonlinear relationships line graphs -searching for trends -line of best fit -time series plot bar graphs -when the independent variable is nominal and the dependent variable is interval -pareto chart: bar graph in which categories along the x-axis are ordered from highest to light pictorial graphs -visual depiction of data for an independent variable when there are very few levels pie charts -graph in the shape of a circle with each slice representing a proportion of each category -not necessarily the best choice Choosing the Graph Based on Variables One scale variable: histogram or frequency polygon One scale independent and one scale dependent variable: scatterplot or line graph One nominal independent and one scale dependent variable: bar graph or Parto chart Two+ nominal independent and one scale dependent variable: bar graph Chapter 4 Central Tendency mean – arithmetic average, add up all scored, divide by number of scores medium – middle score mode – most common score Calculating the mean - add all scores, divide by numbe
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 1010

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit