Psychology (3,805)
PSYC 1300 (3)

439 - Teaching Students with Special Needs

10 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
PSYC 1300
Carol Willia

439 - Teaching Students with Special Needs 1/22/2013 11:36:00 AM TEACHING TIPS: - Keep learning (i.e. additional qualifications course). - Learn from your students (i.e. technology, emotions, behaviour, - Find a Mentor (i.e. anyone in - Show, don’t tell (i.e. demonstration and visuals) - Join the club (i.e. take advantage of online lesson plans and tweak them to your needs). - Take advantage of technology (i.e. emailing rather than phoning parents is often more productive). - Visit (i.e. great lesson plans, research, topics, etc.) Education For All Document - Beliefs 1-7 - UDL – Universal Design and differentiated instruction are effective and interconnected means of meeting the learning or productivity needs of any group of students. - Successful instructional practices are founded on evidence-based research, tempered by experience. - Classroom teachers are the key educators for a student’s literacy and numeracy development. (Remember that we are the last ones students trust. They often do not trust priests, police, etc. anymore). - Each child has his or her own unique patterns of learning. - Classroom teachers need the support of the larger community to create a learning environment that supports students with special education needs. - Fairness is not sameness (Fairness is treating each student in your classroom according to their particular needs, so that they may be successful). 2005 Education For All - Universal design for learning - Differentiated learning - Assessment OF, FOR and AS learning - Computer-based assistive technology - Learning profiles - Class profiles >>Find out what they are interested in, etc. by having them fill out a survey. E.g. hockey (and take this into consideration when it comes to homework and pop quizzes, etc.) Your role as Teacher - contribute first-hand knowledge of their strengths, needs, and interests - fulfill role of key curriculum expert - develop any modified or alternate learning expectations to meet needs - develop….. Reading Notes 1/22/2013 11:36:00 AM Sept. 10 thReadings: Link#1 – Historical Overview of Spec Ed in Ontario - 1957, The Case of Ruthie  schools not obligated to accept her as a student. For this reason, her first and only year of schooling was at age 8. - SEACs = Special Education Advisory Committees - SEACs were established in 1980 as part of major revision to Ontario’s education system. Bill 82 (“An Act to Amend the Education Act”) was passed, requiring exceptional students to receive spec ed programs and services. - Bill 82 was essentially 30 years in the making. From 1950-1980 exceptional students were largely ignored. i.e. Case of Ruthie 1957 - 1950s: The Beginnings o Royal Commission on Education in Ontario (The Hope Report), 1950 = called for compulsory schooling for 6-16 (now until 18), universal kindergarten programs, abolition of grade 13 (didn’t happen until 2000), *significant expansion of spec ed programs to serve children with learning disabilities.  Had little immediate impact on policy, but recommendations were significant and eventually implemented - 1960s: Decade of Education Reform o The Robarts Plan, 1962 = introduced 3 academic streams for secondary school (i.e. directed 2, 4 & 5 year programs). This decreased dropout rates and raised graduation rates. o The Ontario Human Rights Code, 1962  first comprehensive human rights code in Canada. Right to equal access to services, including education. Not until 1982 that “handicap” discrimination was prohibited. o Hall-Dennis Report (“Living and Learning” Report on ed. aims & objectives), 1968 = served as a catalyst to dramatic changes; reinforced the right to equal access to learning best suited to his needs and the responsibility of schools to provide a child centred learning continuum that invites learning by discovery & inquiry. >>i.e. kids should learn in a free environment and at their own pace (Open classrooms) - 1970s: Implementation of Further Reforms o New program policies, credits, & diploma requirements introduced. New teaching techniques. Open classrooms. o Spec ed programs & services still lacking and not required by school boards. - 1980s: Focus on Spec Ed o Bill 82 legislation was part of worldwide movement towards providing all children with opportunity for a publicly funded education, regardless of disabilities. o *Bill 82 came into effect in 1980 = School boards now required to provide spec ed programs & services. In addition: Required early & ongoing identification and assessment of learning abilities and needs. Created Identification, Placement, & Review Committees (IPRCs). Parental Involvement (right to appeal decisions of IPRCs; involved in SEACs). Extended the right to provide programs to Roman Catholic School Boards. - The ministry issued many policy/program memoranda over time to support the legislation framework. PPM81 (1984) = designated responsibilities regarding the provision of health support services. - *Regulation 181/98 = required every board to have at least one IPRC, and every principal to ensure an IEP (Individual Education Plan) is developed for each student within 30 days of spec ed. placement, as well as other requirements. >>description of strengths and needs; consideration of placement in regular classroom, etc. - 1982 Canadian Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms, protecting equality rights without discrimination based on mental or physical disability. - 1989 Human Rights Commission publications that included disability assessment and accommodation guidelines and duties. - 1995 “For the Love of Learning” (Report of the Royal Commission on Learning) = suggested integration of spec ed students with regular classrooms and acknowledged the appropriateness of other placements, such as acceleration for the gifted. - The ministry's Special Education: A Guide for Educators, 2001, reflects the many changes that have taken place with regard to legislation, regulations, policy, and educational practice since the publication of the earlier Special Education Information Handbook, 1984. Special Education in Ontario Today - Subsection 8(3) of the Education Act requires the Minister of Education to prescribe categories of exceptionalities, to define the exceptionalities, and to require school boards to use the definitions. Categories and definitions can be found in the ministry policy document Special Education: A Guide for Educators. - Specific procedures for the identification and placement of exceptional pupils are set out in Regulation 181/98. This regulation also provides for the regular revi
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 1300

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.